Determining speed of an object with only a meter stick?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the speed of a rock using a slingshot, meter stick, and rock. While initially seeming impossible without taking time into account, the conversation uncovers that by measuring the distance the rock travels when shot from a certain height, and using the constant of gravity to determine time, the speed can be calculated.
fattydq
A child wishes to determine the speed a slingshot imparts to a rock. How can this be done using only a meter stick, a rock, and the slingshot?

This question seems impossible to me, since you would HAVE to take time into account at some point, in some way, to figure out speed, right? So is this a trick question or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think ballistics. :)

I'll help you get started:
[tex]y(x)=tan{\theta}\cdot x-\frac{g}{2v_0^2cos^2{\theta}}\cdot x^2[/tex]

Where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle the initial velocity of the projectile makes with the horizon.

Yes, but figuring out the angle would require more than just the meter stick, rock, and sling shot, wouldn't it?

fattydq said:
Yes, but figuring out the angle would require more than just the meter stick, rock, and sling shot, wouldn't it?

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty good at making a 45° angle. :P

Haha, yeah, that's what's throwing me about this problem though...the fact that you can ONLY use those materials. That's why I think it may be a trick question or something haha.

fattydq said:
Haha, yeah, that's what's throwing me about this problem though...the fact that you can ONLY use those materials. That's why I think it may be a trick question or something haha.

I don't think it's a trick question. If you drop the rock from one meter above the ground then the distance traveled by the rock will be zero. Shooting the rock horizontally from the one meter height with the slingshot will send the rock a certain distance before it hits the ground. The higher the speed of the rock, the further it will go, which can be measured with the yard stick.

You then figure out the time, based on how long it takes a rock to fall from one meter height.
Since speed is just distance over time, you'll have your answer.

And that time would just be a constant right? The constant of gravity, that is?

fattydq said:
And that time would just be a constant right?
In the context of this problem, yes.
The constant of gravity, that is?
Gravity is a constant, but dropping something from a two meter height will yield a different time constant.

1. How do I measure the speed of an object using only a meter stick?

To measure the speed of an object using only a meter stick, you will need to measure both the distance traveled and the time it took for the object to travel that distance. Once you have these measurements, you can use the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the speed of the object.

2. Can I use a meter stick to measure the speed of any object?

Yes, a meter stick can be used to measure the speed of any object, as long as you have the distance and time measurements. However, it may not be the most accurate method for measuring the speed of very fast-moving objects.

3. Is it necessary to use a stopwatch to measure the time for calculating speed?

No, a stopwatch is not necessary. You can use any timing device or method as long as it accurately measures the time it takes for the object to travel a certain distance.

4. How can I ensure that my measurements are accurate when determining speed with a meter stick?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to make sure that the meter stick is placed accurately and straight along the path of the moving object. It is also important to repeat the measurement multiple times and take an average to minimize any errors.

5. Are there any limitations to determining speed with only a meter stick?

Yes, there are limitations to using a meter stick to determine the speed of an object. It may not be the most precise method for measuring the speed of very fast-moving objects, and it may also be difficult to accurately measure the distance and time for very small or short movements.