1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the angular and linear accelerations of a Rigid Body

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1
    Hello, all!

I am currently working with the governing equation of a rotating, translating rigid body. That is:

[tex] \vec{a_i} = \vec{a_c} + \vec{\alpha} \times \vec{r} + \vec{\omega} \times \left( {\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}} \right)[/tex]

Where [tex]a_i[/tex] is the linear acceleration of some point on the body [tex]i[/tex], [tex]a_c[/tex] is the linear acceleration of the centroid of the body, [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angular acceleration of the body, [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity of the body, and [tex]r[/tex] is the vector from the centroid to the point [tex]i[/tex].

Given some [tex]a_1[/tex] and [tex]a_2[/tex], how can I rework a system of two of those equations such that I can back out [tex]\alpha[/tex] (related to omega by the differential) and [tex]a_c[/tex]? That is:
    [tex] \vec{a_1} = \vec{a_c} + \vec{\alpha} \times \vec{r_1} + \vec{\omega} \times \left( {\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r_1}} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]
    \vec{a_2} = \vec{a_c} + \vec{\alpha} \times \vec{r_2} + \vec{\omega} \times \left( {\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r_2}} \right)
    [/tex]

To give another way of viewing the problem: If I mount two accelerometers on a body and then rotate and translate the body in space, how can I determine what those body rotations and translations are based off the readings of my two accelerometers? I should only need two accelerometers (read: two equations) because there are only two unknowns, [tex]a_c[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex].

Thank you for the help!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted