Determining the centre of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving the measurement of the center of mass of a ruler using a scale and a pivot point. The participant is confused about how to calculate the center of mass and equations for calculating torque are mentioned. The experiment involved balancing the ruler with two rods and the net torque being zero. The solution is to calculate the distance from the center of mass to the pivot point using the equation mgc - Fd = 0.
Sinister

Homework Statement

I'm doing my lab and my TA didn't really explain how we obtain the centre of mass.
Basically the lab is you have a ruler and you make it horizontal and measure the force along it using a scale (obviously in Newtons)...

So you measure the distance of the force from the pivot point to the scale and then I calculated the torque ( F x D).. we did this 3 times each with a different value of D and got 3 different torque values... This part of the lab was to determine where the centre of gravity is for the rule. oh and the mass of the rule is 219.6 grams. So I'm confused how we calculate this?

Homework Equations

The torque of gravity is Tg= mg x Xcm where Xcm is the distance to the centre of mass

2) T= F x D Force from the scale times the distance from the pivot point

The Attempt at a Solution

1) first I found the torque exerted by the ruler which was T = F x D
Then I found the torque of gravity... But I do not know how to calculate the centre of mass

Physics news on Phys.org
How was the experiment conduct ? you held the rule with your finger at one end and the scale was placed where ?
Make a drawing possibly.

It was balanced by two rods ... one being the pivot and the other just supporting it
hope this helps

Last edited:
OK, so since the ruler didn't move, the net torque was zero.

Torque exerted by gravity is mgc where c is the distance (center of mass) - (pivot).
-Fd is the other.

So, mgc - Fd = 0

You know d, F, mg,
compute c.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for.

thanks!

1. What is the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is a point in an object or system where all of its mass can be considered to be concentrated. In other words, it is the point at which an object will balance perfectly in all directions.

2. How is the centre of mass determined?

The centre of mass can be determined by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the object. This can be done using the formula: x(cm) = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where x(cm) is the x-coordinate of the centre of mass, m is the mass of each particle, and x is the x-coordinate of each particle.

3. Why is determining the centre of mass important?

Determining the centre of mass is important because it helps us understand how an object will move and behave in response to external forces. It also allows us to analyze the stability and balance of an object.

4. Can the centre of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the centre of mass can be outside of an object. This can happen if the object has an irregular shape or if the mass is distributed unevenly throughout the object.

5. How does the centre of mass affect an object's motion?

The centre of mass plays a crucial role in an object's motion. If an object is free to move, it will rotate around its centre of mass. Additionally, if an external force is applied to an object, it will accelerate towards its centre of mass.