Can I Determine the General Term for this Sequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general term for a given sequence and suggests a method of solving it by identifying patterns and using practice. The conversation also provides an example and recommends taking away 1 from the expression to help with understanding.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

The general term is given by 3r+1+(-1)r+1

So by substituting r=0,1,2,3... I get a sequence like this: 0, 5, 6, 11, 12, 17, 18...

It seems to form some pattern. So i wonder, can i deduce the general term with only the sequence? How?

Please kindly elaborate more if possible because i really keen to learn how. :biggrin:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't really any set methods to determine these general formulae for a sequence. You just need practice at solving them, and then it'll become easier for you to see what can be done, just like when simplifying trigonometric expressions and such.

Notice every second term has a difference of 6, so this is where you would expect a 3r to appear. But obviously there is another pattern within this pattern of 3r, so why don't we take 3r out of the equation and see if it makes the rest easier to find.

So if we take 3r out of
0, 5, 6, 11, 12, 17, 18...

We get
0, 2, 0, 2, 0, 2...

Now I'm sure with a little thought and understanding of the sequence (-1)r, you can deduce the general expression. If it helps, take 1 away from the expression, so you end up with

-1, 1, -1, 1, -1...

1. What is the general term in a mathematical sequence?

The general term in a mathematical sequence is the formula or rule that allows you to find any term in the sequence without having to list all the previous terms.

2. How do you determine the general term in a sequence?

To determine the general term in a sequence, you need to first identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. This can be done by looking at the difference between consecutive terms or the ratio between consecutive terms. Once the pattern is identified, you can write it in a mathematical formula to find any term in the sequence.

3. Why is it important to determine the general term in a sequence?

Determining the general term in a sequence allows you to make predictions about future terms in the sequence and also to find any specific term without having to list all the previous terms. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of the sequence and can be used in various applications in mathematics and other fields.

4. What are some common types of general terms in sequences?

Some common types of general terms in sequences include linear equations, quadratic equations, geometric sequences, and exponential equations. These types of general terms can be identified by the pattern of the sequence and can help in finding any term in the sequence.

5. Is it possible for a sequence to have multiple general terms?

No, a sequence can only have one general term. This is because the general term is a unique formula or rule that defines the behavior of the entire sequence. However, different sequences can have the same general term if they follow the same pattern or rule.