Calculating the Constant for Measuring Flow Rates in Open Channels

• Thread starter Frustra8ed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the weir is used to measure flow rates in open channels. The equation for a rectangular weir can be written as Q=288.8 LH^(3/2). The new constant, 5.35, can be derived by converting units.
Frustra8ed
I'm having trouble a problem and I was hoping someone could show me some direction.

Q:
A weir is used to measure flow rates in open channels. For a rectangular weir the expression can be written as Q=288.8 LH^(3/2).
Where Q= discharge rate, in gal/h
L= Length of weir opening parallel to liquid, in inches
H= height of fluid above crest, in inches

As the channels become larger, the weir opening can be expressed as follows:
Q in cubic feet per second, with L and H in feet.

Determine the new constant.

The answer is 5.35, and I can't figure out how they derived it. I think it has to do with converting units, but I don't know.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Frustra8ed :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, it's all about the units.

You have Q, which is initially in gal/hour, and you want to get it into ft^3/second. How would you do this?

You have L, which is initially in inches, and you want to get it into feet.

W is like L.

--J

You have the right idea. Set up the same equation but add the units conversions on the appropriate sides:

One side will be the conversion from gal/hr to ft^3/sec. The other side will be the unknown times the two conversions from ft to in. Don't forget that one of those connversions is to a power. Solve for the unknown.

That being said, I went through this problem 4 times and I keep getting the answer, except a factor of 10 off. I keep getting 53.9. Maybe someone else can verify that.

I'm getting 5.35.

The easier way to do this problem is to figure out the units of the constant 288.8, and then convert these units into the units of the 5.35 constant.

The 288.8 constant has units gal/hr/in^(5/2). The desired units are ft^.5/s.

--J

Thanks!
I was on the right track, just needed a boost. I appreciate the help.

Frustra8ed :approve:

What is a "constant" in scientific terms?

A constant in science refers to a fixed and unchanging value or quantity that remains the same throughout an experiment or study.

Why is it important to determine a new constant?

Determining a new constant allows for more accurate and precise measurements in future experiments and helps to establish a baseline for comparison.

How is a new constant determined?

A new constant is determined through rigorous experimentation, data analysis, and statistical calculations. It may also involve comparing results to previous studies or known constants.

What factors affect the determination of a new constant?

The factors that may affect the determination of a new constant can vary depending on the specific constant being studied. However, some common factors include the accuracy of instruments used, the methods of data collection and analysis, and potential sources of error.

What are the potential implications of a new constant being determined?

A new constant can have significant implications in the scientific community, as it may lead to new theories, discoveries, and advancements in various fields of study. It also allows for more accurate and reliable predictions and calculations in future experiments.