1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Time When Comparing Two Equations

1. Jan 7, 2004 #1

Hello all,

The last time I used these forums for help I got awesome responses. And here I am again needing help. Thought I'd just mosey on over and pop up my question I got. Here it is:

(2) A car and motorcycle start from rest at the same time form rest on a straight track, but the motorcycle is 25.0 m behind the car. The car accelerates at a uniform rate of 3.70 m/s2 and the motorcycle accelerates at a uniform rate of 4.40 m/s2.
    (a) How much time elapses before the motorcycle overtakes the car?

I know that I need this formula --> d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)
    And I know that it should be set up so that the two distance equations (one for the car and one for the motorcycle) are set equal to each other, so I can further solve the junctioned equation for (t). But, I seem to be having some trouble. I need to know how to go about solving this problem. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks a lot.

- JDK
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The formula "d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t2)" isn't quite correct. It should be d = Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t2)+ di where di is the initial distance from some reference point.

In this case, if you take the point from which the motorcycle starts as the reference point, then di= 0 for the motorcycle and di= 25 for the car (since the car starts 25 meters ahead of the motorcycle).
    Of course, Vi= 0 for both motorcycle and car.

For the car, a= 3.7 m/s2 so d= (3.7/2)t2+ 25= 1.85 t2+ 25.
    For the motorcycle a= 4.4 m/s2 so d= (4.4/2)t2+0= 2.2 t2.

The motorcycle will overtake the car when the two d s are the same:
    when 1.85 t2+ 25= 2.2 t2. That's the equation you want to solve.
  4. Jan 8, 2004 #3

Thank you. Now I understand what I need to do. My problem was not knowing the 'Initial Distance Variable'.

Vi(t) + ½(Ac)(t²) + Dic = Vi(t) + ½(Am)(t²) + Dim
    (0)(t) + ½(3.70 m/s²)(t²) + 25m = (0)(t) + ½(4.40 m/s²)(t²) + 0m
    ½ (3.70 m/s²)(t²) + 25m = ½(4.40 m/s²)(t²)
    (1.85 m/s²)t² + 25m = (2.2 m/s²)t²

... excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but next am I supposed to square each side of the equation or divide the right side by (1.85)? Or is it something completely different. I seriously must be having an off day... *embarassment* This usually doesn't happen... I've tried a few things on it but I have no idea what the right answer is... that's my problem right now...
  5. Jan 8, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Combine the two terms that contain t2. (Subtract!)
  6. Jan 8, 2004 #5

*smacks self promptly*

Pheww... I better do a brain check... anyways, so this is what it should look like then - correct? (My symbols are showing up all googled... I'll change that...)

(1.85 m/s²)t² + 25m = (2.2 m/s²)t²
    25m = (2.2 m/s²)t² - (1.85 m/s²)t²
    25m = (0.35 m/s²)t²
    25m / 0.35 m/s² = t²
    71.4 s² = t²
    (sqroot)71.4 s² = t
    8.4 s = t

Thanks by the way! :)
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?