What is the maximum rate of acceleration before my robot tips over?

• Thread starter maxi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the maximum rate of acceleration that a robot with dimensions of 24" x 50" x 40" and a total weight of 44lbs can turn at before tipping over is 9.81 m/s^2. The minimum turn radius at which tipping would occur during cornering is 0.478 m when the robot is traveling at 1.5 m/s. The centripetal acceleration at the verge of tipping during cornering is 4.709 m/s^2, determined by the formula an = g*(0.5*b)/h.
maxi9
Hey, I'm trying to calculate the point where my robot will tip over but I don't really know where to start. Basically the robot is 24" x 50" and 40" tall. The center of mass is the center of the robot 25" from the ground. Total weight is 44lbs. The robot turns via differential steering so it can turn about its center point. I need to know the maximum rate of acceleration I can turn ( or spin ) the robot before it starts to tip.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The robot will tip over when a vertical line passing through the center of mass falls outside the base.

Thank you, unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. I understand it will tip over at that point, but I am looking for the maximum speed the robot can turn at before it starts to tip over.

Do you mean during acceleration or cornering or what?

basically it could be either, it could be tip from acceleration, or tip from cornering, and since it can rotate about its center point, how fast it can rotate before it tips. Does that help??

maxi9: Could you give us the maximum velocity of your robot, in m/s?

The maximum forward acceleration, at which point your robot would tip over, would be at = 9.81 m/s^2.

Regarding the centripetal acceleration, the minimum turn radius, at which point your robot would tip over, would be rho = (v^2)/(4.709 m/s^2), where v = robot velocity (m/s), and rho = turn radius (m).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you nvn, The robots max velocity is 1.5m/s, fairly slow. Out of curiosity how did you determine the the rate of acceleration that would cause it to tip. Also in the second equation regarding rho, where did the acceleration 5.886 m/s^2 come from?

A little premature to be putting numbers to it. Not enough info.

Don't you guys care what the wheelbase is? What if his 40" robot sits on a wheelbase 2" in length and breadth?

wheel base is as follows, there are 4 casters, 1 at each corner of the robot, and the two drive wheels are located on the side of the robot at its center line. Casters are 2 inches in diameter and the drive wheels are 4 inches in diameter. Has one motor per drive wheel.

maxi9: In post 9, are you saying the caster wheels are almost exactly at the corner dimensions you gave in post 1? (I currently assumed they are, in post 6.) If not, then we need to know the actual wheel base (L), and track width (b), of the caster wheels. Are the tipping accelerations you need to compute a school assignment?

nvn, the casters are at the corners of the robot. This is just a project I am working on, I just want to know how fast i can get it to accelerate and turn.

maxi9: The 4.709 m/s^2 in post 6 is the centripetal acceleration at the verge of tipping during cornering.

Therefore, when the velocity of your robot is v = 1.5 m/s, the turn radius in post 6 (at which your robot would tip over during cornering) is rho = 0.478 m = 478 mm.

Thank you very much, Glad I know i can take a pretty sharp turn with it. About the centripetal value from post 6, I am just curious as to how you obtained that value?

The centripetal acceleration when tipping occurs during cornering is, an = g*(0.5*b)/h = (9.81 m/s^2)(0.5*0.6096 m)/(0.6350 m) = 4.709 m/s^2, where b = wheel track width, and h = CG height.

oh okay i see now, thank you!

1. What is the tipover point?

The tipover point is the point at which an object or structure becomes unstable and falls over due to its center of gravity being shifted outside of its base of support.

2. How is the tipover point determined?

The tipover point is determined by calculating the center of gravity of the object or structure and comparing it to its base of support. If the center of gravity falls outside of the base of support, the object will tip over.

3. What factors can affect the tipover point?

The tipover point can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the object, the shape and size of its base, and external forces such as wind or movement.

4. How can the tipover point be prevented?

To prevent tipover accidents, the center of gravity of an object or structure should be kept within its base of support. This can be achieved by properly distributing weight and ensuring a stable base.

5. Why is it important to determine the tipover point?

Determining the tipover point is important for safety reasons. It allows engineers and designers to ensure that structures and objects are stable and will not tip over, preventing accidents and potential harm to individuals and property.