Finding the Unknown Force: Acceleration and Net Force Calculation

• Thread starter Jose Miranda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: If you go one step to your right (##\hat\imath##) and one step forward (##\hat\jmath##), the result is that your displacement is √2 steps at 45 degrees.It's called vector addition. The two forces have to be added as vectors -- if you want to add them like that, it's just ( ##\hat\imath## + ##\hat\jmath## ) / 2.
Jose Miranda

Homework Statement

A 3.7 kg mass has a constant acceleration from an initial velocity of 2.33 ihat m/s to a final velocity of (18.9 ihat - 10.7 jhat) m/s in 2.71 s. Two forces act on the mass: gravity and an unknown applied force. Determine the acceleration and unknown force.[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the acceleration i managed to get 16.25 m/s, and for the force of gravity it is -36.26 m/s.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jose, welcome to PF :smile:

Can you show your attempt ? The numerical value of the answer isn't as important as how you found it.
And what equation would you like to use to determine the applied force ? I assume that's where you run into problems ? Where precisely ?

BvU said:
Hello Jose, welcome to PF :smile:

Can you show your attempt ? The numerical value of the answer isn't as important as how you found it.
And what equation would you like to use to determine the applied force ? I assume that's where you run into problems ? Where precisely ?

I believe the a I got the first time is wrong.
a = (V-Vi)/t, so a = (6.1ihat - 3.95 jhat) m/s

The problem is on on incline starting at 0,0 and having an angle below the x-line.

So the force on the x-axis is 3.7 kg times 6.1 = 22.6 N, and the y force 3.7kg time 3.95 = 14.6 N

22.6 +14.6 = 37.2 N

37.2N - 36.26 N = 0.94 N
0.94 N = unknown force

gravity around here, all by itself, causes acceleration 9.8 m/s2 ... that's 32 ft/s2 , if anybody still uses feet.
So the Force by gravity is 36.26 Newtons ... watch your units.

Jose Miranda said:

The problem is on on incline starting at 0,0 and having an angle below the x-line.

So the force on the x-axis is 3.7 kg times 6.1 = 22.6 N, and the y force 3.7kg time 3.95 = 14.6 N
I agree with the corrected numbers. Thank you for showing your work.

22.6 +14.6 = 37.2 N
22.6 N in one direction plus 14.6 N in the direction at right angles equals what?

37.2N - 36.26 N = 0.94 N
Same problem. 37.2 N in what direction? Minus 36.26 N in what direction?

jbriggs444 said:
I agree with the corrected numbers. Thank you for showing your work.22.6 N in one direction plus 14.6 N in the direction at right angles equals what?Same problem. 37.2 N in what direction? Minus 36.26 N in what direction?

What stumps me is the how can i do this if there is no angle.

You have referred to an "incline", an "x-axis" and a point at "0,0". Possibly there is a diagram that has not been shared? A reasonable assumption would be that gravity acts in the -y direction. You do not need an angle if you consider gravity and the y component of the unknown force together and the x component of the unknown force separately.

Jose Miranda said:
What stumps me is the how can i do this if there is no angle.
The problem statement is still unclear to me.
If it is 'on an incline', there would be a normal force from the surface. Is that the unknown force, or considered a consequence of the gravity?
Please state the entire question word for word.

haruspex said:
The problem statement is still unclear to me.
If it is 'on an incline', there would be a normal force from the surface. Is that the unknown force, or considered a consequence of the gravity?
Please state the entire question word for word.

The problem doesn't mention an incline i just assumed it was on an incline, because of its final velocity.

Jose Miranda said:

22.6 +14.6 = 37.2 N

37.2N - 36.26 N = 0.94 N
0.94 N = unknown force
I subscribe to the a = (6.1ihat - 3.95 jhat) m/s, and also to force on the x-axis is 3.7 kg times 6.1 = 22.6 N, and the y force 3.7kg time 3.95 = 14.6 N
but from there you start losing me:

If you go one step to your right (##\hat\imath##) and one step forward (##\hat\jmath##), the result is that your displacement is √2 steps at 45 degrees.
It's called vector addition. The two forces have to be added as vectors -- if you want to add them at all. But in this exercise you don't want that. They give velocities as ##\ ( a\; \hat\imath + b\; \hat\jmath\ )\ ##, so an answer in the same terms should be OK.​
The gravity force that works in the ##\hat\jmath## direction is ##\ m\;\vec g\ = 3.7 * -9.81\; \hat\jmath\ ##. If the net force is ##\ -14.6\; \hat\jmath\ ## N (I hope you didn't forget the minus sign ?) then the applied force in the y-direction must be quite positive.

This whole escapade can take place on an inclined plane or in thin air -- if the exercise tekst says "Two forces act on the mass: gravity and an unknown applied force" then that is enough to calculate that one unknown force. Which is all the exercise wants you to determine.

BvU said:
I subscribe to the a = (6.1ihat - 3.95 jhat) m/s, and also to force on the x-axis is 3.7 kg times 6.1 = 22.6 N, and the y force 3.7kg time 3.95 = 14.6 N
but from there you start losing me:

If you go one step to your right (##\hat\imath##) and one step forward (##\hat\jmath##), the result is that your displacement is √2 steps at 45 degrees.
It's called vector addition. The two forces have to be added as vectors -- if you want to add them at all. But in this exercise you don't want that. They give velocities as ##\ ( a\; \hat\imath + b\; \hat\jmath\ )\ ##, so an answer in the same terms should be OK.​
The gravity force that works in the ##\hat\jmath## direction is ##\ m\;\vec g\ = 3.7 * -9.81\; \hat\jmath\ ##. If the net force is ##\ -14.6\; \hat\jmath\ ## N (I hope you didn't forget the minus sign ?) then the applied force in the y-direction must be quite positive.

This whole escapade can take place on an inclined plane or in thin air -- if the exercise tekst says "Two forces act on the mass: gravity and an unknown applied force" then that is enough to calculate that one unknown force. Which is all the exercise wants you to determine.

ok, so an answer for this can be given as vectors? (22.60ihat N -14.6 jhat N) ?

What you describe here is the net force. That isn't the answer for this exercise. I think the exercise asks for the second force.

1. What is the process for determining an unknown force?

The process for determining an unknown force involves using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). By measuring the mass and acceleration of an object, the unknown force acting on it can be calculated.

2. What equipment is needed to determine an unknown force?

The equipment needed to determine an unknown force includes a spring scale, a mass scale, and an object to measure the force on. In some cases, a pulley system or other specialized equipment may also be used.

3. How accurate is the method for determining unknown forces?

The accuracy of determining an unknown force depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken. Generally, the more precise the measurements, the more accurate the calculated force will be. It is important to calibrate and properly use the equipment to ensure accurate results.

4. Can the method for determining unknown forces be used in any situation?

The method for determining unknown forces is most commonly used in situations where the force is constant and the object is not accelerating. It may not be as accurate in situations where there are varying forces or if the object is accelerating.

5. How can the method for determining unknown forces be applied in real-world situations?

The method for determining unknown forces is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to measure forces acting on structures, vehicles, and other objects. It can also be used in sports science to measure the force of impact on the body during physical activity.