1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining unknown Force

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 3.7 kg mass has a constant acceleration from an initial velocity of 2.33 ihat m/s to a final velocity of (18.9 ihat - 10.7 jhat) m/s in 2.71 s. Two forces act on the mass: gravity and an unknown applied force. Determine the acceleration and unknown force.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the acceleration i managed to get 16.25 m/s, and for the force of gravity it is -36.26 m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Jose, welcome to PF :smile:

Can you show your attempt ? The numerical value of the answer isn't as important as how you found it.
    And what equation would you like to use to determine the applied force ? I assume that's where you run into problems ? Where precisely ?

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    I believe the a I got the first time is wrong.
    a = (V-Vi)/t, so a = (6.1ihat - 3.95 jhat) m/s

The problem is on on incline starting at 0,0 and having an angle below the x-line.

So the force on the x axis is 3.7 kg times 6.1 = 22.6 N, and the y force 3.7kg time 3.95 = 14.6 N

22.6 +14.6 = 37.2 N

37.2N - 36.26 N = 0.94 N
    0.94 N = unknown force

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

lightgrav

Homework Helper

gravity around here, all by itself, causes acceleration 9.8 m/s2 ... that's 32 ft/s2 , if anybody still uses feet.
    So the Force by gravity is 36.26 Newtons ... watch your units.

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

I agree with the corrected numbers. Thank you for showing your work.

22.6 N in one direction plus 14.6 N in the direction at right angles equals what?

Same problem. 37.2 N in what direction? Minus 36.26 N in what direction?

7. Feb 16, 2015 #6
    What stumps me is the how can i do this if there is no angle.

8. Feb 16, 2015 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

You have referred to an "incline", an "x-axis" and a point at "0,0". Possibly there is a diagram that has not been shared? A reasonable assumption would be that gravity acts in the -y direction. You do not need an angle if you consider gravity and the y component of the unknown force together and the x component of the unknown force separately.

9. Feb 16, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The problem statement is still unclear to me.
    If it is 'on an incline', there would be a normal force from the surface. Is that the unknown force, or considered a consequence of the gravity?
    Please state the entire question word for word.

10. Feb 16, 2015 #9
    The problem doesn't mention an incline i just assumed it was on an incline, because of its final velocity.

11. Feb 16, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I subscribe to the a = (6.1ihat - 3.95 jhat) m/s, and also to force on the x axis is 3.7 kg times 6.1 = 22.6 N, and the y force 3.7kg time 3.95 = 14.6 N
    but from there you start losing me:

If you go one step to your right (##\hat\imath##) and one step forward (##\hat\jmath##), the result is that your displacement is √2 steps at 45 degrees.
    It's called vector addition. The two forces have to be added as vectors -- if you want to add them at all. But in this exercise you don't want that. They give velocities as ##\ ( a\; \hat\imath + b\; \hat\jmath\ )\ ##, so an answer in the same terms should be OK.​

The gravity force that works in the ##\hat\jmath## direction is ##\ m\;\vec g\ = 3.7 * -9.81\; \hat\jmath\ ##. If the net force is ##\ -14.6\; \hat\jmath\ ## N (I hope you didn't forget the minus sign ?) then the applied force in the y-direction must be quite positive.

This whole escapade can take place on an inclined plane or in thin air -- if the exercise tekst says "Two forces act on the mass: gravity and an unknown applied force" then that is enough to calculate that one unknown force. Which is all the exercise wants you to determine.

12. Feb 16, 2015 #11
    ok, so an answer for this can be given as vectors? (22.60ihat N -14.6 jhat N) ?

13. Feb 16, 2015 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you describe here is the net force. That isn't the answer for this exercise. I think the exercise asks for the second force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted