How to Determine Values of L and C in a Series RLC Circuit at Resonance?

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the values of L and C for a series RLC circuit with a resistance of 120 ohms and a resonance angular frequency of 4x10^5 rad/s. At resonance, the voltages across the resistor and inductor are 60 V and 40 V respectively. The equations used include I_t = Imax sin(ωt), w_o = 1/(LC)^1/2, Z= R at resonance frequency, and Imax(w_o) = εmax/ R. After some calculations and using the fact that at resonance, the impedance equals the resistance, the values of L and C can be determined. Additionally, one can find the frequency at which the current in the
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit with a resistance of 120 ohms has a resonance angular frequency of 4x10^5 rad/s

At resonance the voltages across the resistor and inductor are 60 V and 40 V respectively.

Determine the values of L and C

Homework Equations

I_t = Imax sin(ωt)
w_o = 1/(LC)^1/2

Z= R when we're given the resonance frequency
Imax(w_o) = εmax/ R

The Attempt at a Solution

4x10^5 rad/s = 1/(LC)^1/2

ωL - 1/ωC = 0

ωL = 1/ωC

L = 1/ωCThe problem is I'm not given the AC εmf.

Ac emf = (120 Ohm * 60 V ) + (40 V * ω_0 L ) + ( x V * (1/(ω_0)(c)) )

so I don't know: c, L, voltage of capacitor, or the voltage of the AC generator.

I'm lost as to how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
Ac emf = (120 Ohm * 60 V ) + (40 V * ω_0 L ) + ( x V * (1/(ω_0)(c)) )
Hi,
you write this as if all three are in the same phase ...

BvU said:
Hi,
you write this as if all three are in the same phase ...

In the question it says

"at resonance, the voltages across the resistor and inductor are 60 v and 40 v respectively"

does that mean

I(t) = Imax sin(wt)

and ε(t) = εmax sin (ωt)

will have ω= ω_o? (the resonance frequency given in the problem)

?

Also for ε(t) = εmax sin (ωt) I eliminated φ because arctan (xl-xc / r ) = 0

Also will the fact that the resistor is in phase with I(t), and inductor is +pi/2 in phase with I(t) help me out here?

didn't want to triple post so I will just edit:

do the equations

(60/120) = Imax sin(ω_0 t )

and

(40/ω_o L) = Imax sin (ω_0 t + pi/2 )

make sense/lead me to answering this problem?

Thanks

another edit:

my trouble here is finding the max emf by the ac generator. I just have no clue how I would be able to find that with the given information..

You know the impedance of the circuit at resonance, right ? What does that maen for Vs (your source) ?emf

BvU said:
You know the impedance of the circuit at resonance, right ? What does that maen for Vs (your source) ?emf
Impedance is = to resistance right? So at resonance, impedance is going to = R.

Therefore, ε(t) = I(t)R

which gives me the expression ε(t) = 120*imax*sin(ω_0 t)

I still don't understand how to find imax or εmax. We were only given 3 voltages,

60 = V(r), 40 = V(l) and then x = V(c)

I suppose the fact that V(I) + V(c) are 90 degrees ahead of the resistors voltage is suppose to help me..

Meaning when V(r) = 0, V(I) + V(c) Gives me the voltage produced by the AC source.

so V(I) + V(c) = ε_ac

But I'm not given any information about V(c)...

BvU said:

Holy hell thank you brotha. Idk how you stuck through with me through this but you are a legend.

I know

60 = I(t) R and 40 = I(t)Xl

so 1/2 = I(t) and 40 * 2 = 80 = X l = ωl = 80/ω = l

so I just found l

now Xl = Xc and I can just find c from there.

What the hell man. I wasted about 2 hours just looking at this problem. And I didn't realize it was that simple. I thought I had to do a bunch of stuff with functions and all kinds of stupid things wow I am heated ℙℙI'm pretty mad. I want to change majors at this point but I can't stop won't stop.

Thanks a lot dude cheers

Okay from the same problem..At what frequency does the current in the circuit lag the voltage by 45 degrees?

I have the equation φ = arctan (Xl - Xc / R)

and I get tan(φ)* 120 = 120 = Xl - Xc

and I solve this quadratic equation, but my answer isn't right.

What am I doing wrong here?

Nvm found the answer to the above also.

Looks like I was doing the right thing except I was doing my calculations wrong.

Don't do physics when sleep deprived you may go insane

1. How do you determine the values of L and C in a circuit?

To determine the values of L (inductance) and C (capacitance) in a circuit, you can use various methods such as experimental measurements, calculations based on circuit parameters, or simulation software. The most common method is to use equations that relate the current, voltage, and time in the circuit to the values of L and C.

2. What is the significance of determining the values of L and C in a circuit?

The values of L and C in a circuit determine its behavior and response to different inputs. Inductance and capacitance affect the flow of current and voltage in a circuit, and their values can impact the circuit's frequency response, stability, and efficiency.

3. Can the values of L and C be changed in a circuit?

Yes, the values of L and C can be changed in a circuit by altering the physical properties of the components or by adding or removing components. For example, the inductance of a coil can be changed by varying the number of turns or the core material, and the capacitance of a capacitor can be changed by changing the distance between the plates or the type of dielectric.

4. How do you calculate the values of L and C in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total inductance is equal to the sum of individual inductances, and the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of individual capacitances. In a parallel circuit, the total inductance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of individual reciprocals, and the total capacitance is equal to the sum of individual capacitances. You can use these equations to calculate the values of L and C in a series or parallel circuit.

5. Are there any practical considerations when determining the values of L and C?

Yes, there are several practical considerations when determining the values of L and C in a circuit. These include the frequency range of the circuit, the power ratings of the components, and the physical size and cost of the components. It is important to select values of L and C that are suitable for the intended application and can be easily implemented in the circuit.