1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Velocity from a Freely Falling Bar in a Magnetic Field

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal bar of length 1.3 m and mass 0.04 kg slides with negligible friction but with good electrical contact down between two vertical metal posts. After speeding up initially, the bar falls at a constant speed (zero acceleration). The falling bar and the vertical metal posts have posts have negligible electrical resistance, but the bottom rod is a resistor with resistance 26 ohms. Throughout the entire region there is a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1.5 tesla coming straight out of the page.

Find the constant speed at which the bar falls.
    v = ____ m/s

2. Relevant equations
    Fgrav=mg
    Fmag=I*(deltaL X B)
    deltaV=I*R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that Fgrav = 0.04* 9.8 = 0.392, and this must be equal and opposite to Fmag. The logic behind this is that the bar eventually falls at a constant speed, meaning there is no net force acting upon it. Therefore, I do
    0.392 = I *(1.3 * 1.5)
    I = 0.2
    Using the current, I can find the change in voltage by 0.2 * 26 = 5.2 V.
    This is where I am getting confused, is there any way to readily convert from volts to the velocity? I feel that I have all the necessary information, but could anyone let me know if I am wrong? Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted