Determining Young's Modulus

In summary, the speaker is currently conducting a work placement at a medical physics department and is researching the potential application of a new ultrasound technique for assessing carotid plaque. They are evaluating the accuracy of the technique by determining the Young's Modulus of tissue mimicking material through experiments. The speaker is looking for alternative methods of determining the Young's Modulus as the current method is difficult and may not provide accurate results. Suggestions include using strain gauges, dynamic testing, and pressure cell measurements. The speaker also emphasizes the importance of considering the material's properties and measuring acoustic properties at the frequencies they will be used.
Superflibbit
Hello everyone,

I'm currently undertaking a work placement at the medical physics department of Leicester Royal Infirmary, investigating the potential application of a novel ultrasound technique in assessing carotid plaque.

As part of my research, I'm evaluating the accuracy of the technique by determining the Young's Modulus of several cylinders of tissue mimicking material (PVA-cryogel, between 4 and 6 freeze/thaw cycles) by experiment before evaluating the YM using the ultrasound scanner, so I can compare the results.

At the moment I'm using the classic method of loading masses and measuring the extension of the cylinders etc, however I'm convinced that this is an ineffective method for this material. The typical stiffness is between around 50 - 180 kPa and the material is fairly slipply and fragile, so it's difficult to attach masses and the cylinders often break and I'm not sure that I'm getting very accurate results.

I've suggested that instead we load the masses on top of the cylinders and measure the compression, but again, that's not ideal.

I was wondering if anyone knew any better ways of determining the YM?

(We don't have any tensometers etc)

Thanks,

Sam

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does it have to be using ultrasound? You can't just shove a strain gauge on it? You know the force you're applying to it and therefore the stress. You also get the strain from the strain gauge. That gives you the YM.

I've only used ultrasound to find the location of internal cracks of a structure. Using it to find YM seems pretty annoying.

I don't know anything abouit the properties of your matieral, but you might be able to find the modulus by dynamic testing. Either find the resonant frequency of a suitable sized sample, or attach a mass to one end of the sample, excite it by tapping it, and measure its vibration frequency with an acclerometer on the mass.

If you are able to make another shape such as a plate or disk you could treat it as membrane or diaphragm or thin plate, support it around the edges, centre load the plate with a weighted plunger and measure the deflection with a dial gauge. The plumger foot will need a load spreader to prevent it punching into the material rather than deflecting the whole membrane.
Alternatively you could set the membrane as the only flexible wall of a pressure cell and measure the deflection (with a dial gauge) as you pump up the cell air or water pressure.

First, be aware that what determines ultrasound propagation is not the usual Young's modulus but the modulus whan the material can't move laterally, which makes it stiffer by 1/(1-2*µ^2) where µ is the transverse coefficient. This makes a huge difference on weak materials like elastomers.

Then, if you want the acoustic properties of materials, measure them acoustically! And near the frequency (or frequencies) they will be used at! Properties change radically (I mean, Young*100) depending on the frequency, especially for weak materials like elastomers or tissues.

You can for instance look for resonant frequencies for longitudinal waves, putting your material between good reflectors, which means a dense metal, at best tungsten, molybdenum... Then, the material's density will tell you the modulus and the impedance.

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (deformation) in a material under tension or compression.

2. How is Young's Modulus determined?

Young's Modulus is typically determined through a tensile test, where a sample of the material is subjected to gradually increasing levels of stress until it reaches its breaking point. The amount of strain that occurs during this test is then used to calculate the Young's Modulus of the material.

3. What factors can affect Young's Modulus?

The Young's Modulus of a material can be affected by various factors, including its composition, microstructure, temperature, and external forces applied to it. Changes in these factors can cause the material to exhibit different levels of stiffness.

4. What are some common materials and their Young's Modulus?

The Young's Modulus can vary greatly depending on the material. Some common values for materials include: steel (200-210 GPa), aluminum (69 GPa), concrete (20-40 GPa), rubber (0.01-0.1 GPa), and human bone (10-30 GPa).

5. Why is Young's Modulus important?

Young's Modulus is an important property to consider in the design and engineering of structures and products. It helps determine the amount of stress that a material can withstand before it deforms or breaks, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and reliability of various applications.