Determinism vs Non-determinism

In summary: Question: Isn't reductionism and determinism the same thing?No, reductionism is the idea that complex phenomena can be reduced to the interactions between their component parts. Determinism is the philosophical belief that every state of affairs, including every human event, act, and decision is the inevitable consequence of antecedent states of affairs.

Which do you believe, Determinism or Non-determinism

• Don't know, Don't care - then why are you here?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Huh? - See #3 above, the one just before this one.

• Duh? - See #4 above

• Total voters
moving finger said:
Hi Royce
Second installment

Firstly, how do you define “truly random” in this case? Epistemically random, or ontically random?

I would have thought by now that that was obvious and the word truly was added only to add emphasis. If something is random it must be ontologically so. I cannot imagine anything that could be epistemologically random and not ontologically random.

If you mean epistemically, then existing computer RNGs ARE epistemically random (assuming that the user does not know the algorithm, which is normally the case).

If the algorithm is knowable then the results are not random either epistemologically or ontologically. Again if something is random then it must be ontologically random and the term epistemologically random has no meaning. While they are big words and I know that you like using them I don't think that you have a really good understanding of there meaning and implication.

If you mean ontically, then I would say this is the whole crux of our debate – one can never KNOW for sure if something is ontically random or not! How would you find out?

I don't know. Possibly a mathematician would be able to prove something is random but I doubt it.

The whole point of the RNG example is that the RNG is epistemically random. Do you agree that it is possible to have an epistemically random RNG? (To ensure we both understand what this means it means simply this : An epistemically random RNG is an RNG which APPEARS to produce random numbers; it is in practice not possible for us to predict what numbers it will produce, but it NEED NOT be ontically random).

I understand what you are saying. I just don't think that your choice of word is very good. "epistemically random" has no real meaning. Just as RNG is a misnomer. They ain't random but for all practical purposes they are nearly so and can be used under most circumstances in place of random numbers.
(as an example but completely aside, back in the 286 computer days of MSDOS prior to MS WINDOWS there were a number of very simple games such as card games that asked the player to pick a number 1-9999 to seed the RNG. I wrote a card shuffling program in BASIC to attach to these programs using the RNG to "randomly" select the card value and place it in a "random" position it the deck data base file. Even if you had the program shuffle the deck 7 times, if you used the same number to seed the RNG you got the same deck. I think that at that time they (MS) simply used the decimal places of Pi and the seed number was just where the RNG started in the chain.)

I dispute this statement (that it has been “showed” (showed?)…. that “particles do not possesses a distinct momentum and position”). Please produce the evidence.

Electrons have a significant wave function and as such have no definite position as in a point particle which is is not. One of the main findings of Quantum Physics is that there is no such thing as a point particle. As far a no definite momentum I have read this before in other Quantum works but have no good understanding of it. I'm still trying to figure out how a massless photon can have momentum

All that has been "showed" (sic) is that the momentum and position cannot both be measured accurately at the same time - these two properties are what Bohr referred to as complementary properties. But as I have pointed out again and again and again, "what we can measure" is not synonymous with "what is".

I agree with all that you say except that it is a theoretical fact that they cannot be measured at the same time ontologically not just epistemologically.
If you would read more modern works on QM and someone other than Bohr you would find out more about what QM is. Of course I only know what I have read, but a number of different PHD physicist authors have all said the same thing. Don't put your faith is an undergraduate physics text. They all lie a lot for simplicity and understanding's sake

Incorrect conclusion! I have highlighted the important word in the above - knowledge. The author explicitly refers to the fact that complete knowledge is impossible, and then INCORRECTLY infers from this that the universe is indeterministic! This is incorrect logic at its most basic. Our inability to KNOW the reality of the world is an epistemic property, it simply shows that the world is INDETERMINABLE, it DOES NOT show that the world is necessarily INDETERMINISTIC.
There is a difference!

Funny, I read "complete knowledge is impossible" as ontologically impossible as in unknowable. Which is the same thing that I am saying. Even in Chaos theory the results are predictable only it all of the variable inputs are known,
If the inputs are unknowable (ontologically unknowable) the the results are indeterministic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Q_Goest said:
If not, then arguing the point seems like only so much self stimulation.

Finally an accurate, usable definition of Philosophy

Royce said:
If something is random it must be ontologically so. I cannot imagine anything that could be epistemologically random and not ontologically random.
Hmmmm. If Royce says “this computer APPEARS to be behaving randomly” then Royce is making an epistemic judgement – a judgement about what Royce can see/know/understand.
The statement “I cannot imagine anything that could be epistemologically random and not ontologically random” would imply that if Royce sees a computer which APPEARS to be behaving randomly (epistemic) then it is necessarily always the case that the computer IS INDEED behaving randomly (ontic).
In other words, epistemic randomness would always imply ontic randomness. In other words, Royce could by definition never be mistaken in his opinion of the computer’s behaviour.
Is this the case?
Royce said:
if something is random then it must be ontologically random and the term epistemologically random has no meaning.
Hmmmmm. Chaotic systems are in fact perfect examples of epistemically random and ontically deterministic systems. It is impossible to KNOW (epistemic) how a chaotic system will evolve, and yet they are truly deterministic (thus they are not ontically random).
Royce said:
While they are big words and I know that you like using them I don't think that you have a really good understanding of there meaning and implication.
With respect, if you believe I have demonstrated a misunderstanding of these concepts then please do point this out. I am not proud, I willingly accept constructive criticsim.
Please understand, I do not use these words “because they are big” or “because I am trying to impress”, but simply because they express in the most concise possible way the key issues that are at stake here – the way the world REALLY IS (ontology) and what we KNOW about the world (epistemology).
What we know does not always correspond to the way the world really is.
Royce said:
I don't know. Possibly a mathematician would be able to prove something is random but I doubt it.
“I don’t know” expresses your epistemic perspective. The point I am trying to make is that, in the final analysis, all we have is what we “know”, but none of us has access to reality.
moving finger said:
The whole point of the RNG example is that the RNG is epistemically random. Do you agree that it is possible to have an epistemically random RNG? (To ensure we both understand what this means it means simply this : An epistemically random RNG is an RNG which APPEARS to produce random numbers; it is in practice not possible for us to predict what numbers it will produce, but it NEED NOT be ontically random).
Royce said:
I understand what you are saying. I just don't think that your choice of word is very good. "epistemically random" has no real meaning. Just as RNG is a misnomer
Epistemic encapsulates “what we know or can know”. I’m not sure how one can conclude that this “has no meaning”. Think again of the “deterministic chaos” example.
Royce said:
They ain't random but for all practical purposes they are nearly so and can be used under most circumstances in place of random numbers.
(as an example but completely aside, back in the 286 computer days of MSDOS prior to MS WINDOWS there were a number of very simple games such as card games that asked the player to pick a number 1-9999 to seed the RNG. I wrote a card shuffling program in BASIC to attach to these programs using the RNG to "randomly" select the card value and place it in a "random" position it the deck data base file. Even if you had the program shuffle the deck 7 times, if you used the same number to seed the RNG you got the same deck. I think that at that time they (MS) simply used the decimal places of Pi and the seed number was just where the RNG started in the chain.)
Yes, this is exactly correct! The point is – if one did not know the “seed”” then one could not predict the numbers that would be generated. This is a PERFECT example of “epistemic randomness” – the inability to predict simply because we have insufficient knowledge. I hope you can see that the RNG was not “ontically random” – in other words it was still operating deterministically – if you provide it with the same seed then it produces the same sequence of numbers – hence was behaving deterministically.
Royce said:
Electrons have a significant wave function and as such have no definite position as in a point particle which is is not. One of the main findings of Quantum Physics is that there is no such thing as a point particle.
I agree completely. The problem with the concept of “point particles” is that we are trying to impose our macroscopic concepts onto the quantum world. There is no reason to believe that “point particles” exist in the quantum world.
Royce said:
As far a no definite momentum I have read this before in other Quantum works but have no good understanding of it. I'm still trying to figure out how a massless photon can have momentum
The same way that a massless photon can have energy. The “massless” aspect is related to the “rest mass” – the theoretical mass when the entity is not moving (which is impossible for a photon – but maybe this encapsulates the whole problem with quantum physics). The energy and momentum of a photon arise from the kinetic energy of the phorton.
Royce said:
I agree with all that you say except that it is a theoretical fact that they cannot be measured at the same time ontologically not just epistemologically.
I agree they cannot be measured at the same time. I think you and I are actually very close to agreement. Epistemology is all about measurement.
Royce said:
If you would read more modern works on QM and someone other than Bohr you would find out more about what QM is.
Thank you for the advice
Royce said:
Of course I only know what I have read, but a number of different PHD physicist authors have all said the same thing. Don't put your faith is an undergraduate physics text. They all lie a lot for simplicity and understanding's sake
I agree completely.
Royce said:
I read "complete knowledge is impossible" as ontologically impossible as in unknowable.
“complete knowledge is impossible” would correspond to : epistemology is at best an approximation to ontology.
Royce said:
Which is the same thing that I am saying. Even in Chaos theory the results are predictable only it all of the variable inputs are known,
Yes – the point is that it is impossible to know the “variable inputs” with sufficient accuracy – hence the results are always inaccurate.
Royce said:
If the inputs are unknowable (ontologically unknowable) the the results are indeterministic.
In chaos theory the inputs are epistemically unknowable to the required degree of precision – this is what gives rise to indeterministic results.
May your God go with you
MF

Last edited:
Tournesol said:
I said ontological indeterminism is the best explanation for epistemic unpredicabiltiy, by O's R.
OK, sounds cool (not that I agree of course)
Tournesol said:
To show that the HUP is merely epistemic, you have to show that the wave-function description is false in spite of the fact that it works extremely well.
I have never suggested the wave function description is false. The wave function in fact evolves completely deterministically! The HUP is not synonymous with the wave function.
Tournesol said:
Schroedinger’s wave equation is completely deterministic, there is absolutely no indeterminism involved in his wave mechanics.
Tournesol said:
To infer ontological determinism from it is to assume the MW theory.
Non-local hidden variables does not assume MW.
Tournesol said:
William of Ockham died in 1349.
Sorry to hear that. We all do, I guess.
Tournesol said:
O's R is the basis fpr saying that one hypothesis is better than another. Better does no mean "necessarily true".
Agreed. O’s R is open to interpretation.
Tournesol said:
scientific knowledge comes in degrees..
Logic does not come in degress, unless one disputes the law of the excluded middle.
Tournesol said:
The world is not necessarily deterministic or indeterministic.
Thus one DOES dispute the law of the excluded middle?
What would one propose as an alternative to either deterministic or indeterministic?
Tournesol said:
You claimed that determinism, not indeterminism, was supported by O's R.
That is my “belief”, just as your own belief supports indeterminism. Belief does not equate with logical proof.
moving finger said:
ALL local theories are ruled out by the Aspect experiment. Watever the world is, it is non-local. But read my statement again – I said “There may be non-local hidden variables at work (which would make it a deterministic process), and such a possibility HAS NOT BEEN RULED OUT NOR CAN BE RULED OUT by experiment.”
Tournesol said:
you seem to think this is a positive arguemnt in favour of determinism.
With respect, where did I say that? In fact I think it is an argument in favour of “we do not know”
moving finger said:
I could equally argue that indeterminism can be “ruled out” by Occam’s razor.
Tournesol said:
That's twice you've made that claim: are you going to support it?
Sure. At the macroscopic level, everything we measure is supported by the concept of cause and effect – determinism. No evidence for any indeterminsim at this level. When we get to the quantum level, we reach an epistemic horizon where we can no longer see reality – we can no longer see the determinism. Some may interpret this to mean that “determinism has suddenly and magically disappeared” – but this would require a new paradigm where determinism is suddenly and mysteriously replaced by indeterminism – this requires invoking new concepts and multiplying possibilities – much more simple to assume that determinism exists at ALL levels……QED
moving finger said:
Is this what your argument for ontic indeterminism boils down to? Occam’s razor?
Tournesol said:
Yes. It's better than nowt.
Aye, but it’s what we’re both left with, innit?
G’day
MF

moving finger said:
This a good example of " argumentum ad ignorantiam", which means "arguing from ignorance"
I agree, your argument does arise from ignorance. Specifically, you seem to be ignoring the thing you think you are arguing against. Despite the fact I keep telling you I conclude neither that the Universe is deterministic, nor that it is not, you keep telling me that this indeed is my argument. Perhaps reading what you are replying to would be a good idea before you begin typing.

moving finger said:
My position all along has been that neither determinism nor indeterminism can be shown to be true (or false), therefore (following argumentum ad ignorantiam) it is illogical to conclude that either one is true (or false), therefore whether we believe one or the other is a matter of faith, not one of either science or logic.
Beyond the ignorance of what you are actually arguing about, you seem to be also ignorant of the fact that you are giving a very old, very overused, very pointless argument. "We do not really know, so we cannot really say." Well, I addressed this point several times and the fact that you are still regurgitating this as an argument means you are either not reading anyone's posts but your own or you really cannot grasp basic English. Or basic logic. I will try one more time for the sake of God-only-knows-what to explain to you once more.

Nobody claims to 'know' something like this. Nobody claims to 'know' how the strong interaction is mediated. Nobody claims to 'know' how gravity is caused. However, it slows communication and debate down interminably if everyone has to utter words like "pending, of course, the future discovery of some scientific principal that proves/disproves X, Y or Z" at the end of every point. It would be annoying. In fact, you are demonstrating quite effectively how annoying it is.

The OP is not asking for absolute, God-like knowledge. Nor is it asking for beliefs. It asks for appraisals of accepted scientific notions. They might turn out wrong, just like EVERYTHING we know might turn out wrong. What do you want to do - stop teaching physics in school because - hey, we don't know if some of this stuff might get disproved one day?!? Grow up, mate. Everyone knows the argument. Everyone has heard it a million times before. We continue on the basis that accepted scientific notions are true pending such future discoveries. We don't NEED to reiterate this everytime we say or type a sentence. We don't NEED to answer every question with "I don't know" just in case our answer conflicts with some unknowable future discovery. It is not "argumentum ad ignorantiam" - it is done IN FULL AWARENESS that any current understanding may or will be outdated some day.

Now... have I at the very least made myself clear? Because that's going to be the last time I explain why your argument is pointless and irritating.

moving finger said:
What particle? You slightly misrepresent the meaning of QM, I think, but in a common way.
Okay, you've tried to be cocky, but this is either ignorant or nonsense. They're still referred to as 'particles', or 'quantum particles' even in QM.

moving finger said:
There are also models which are purely deterministic, therefore using your own logic (from above) it follows that you also cannot answer “it is indeterministic”.
Okay, now you've blown too big a whole in your own argument. You only need one non-determinstic process in an otherwise deterministic Universe to have a non-deterministic Universe. A single process will do the trick. So no - showing a process to be deterministic does not show the Universe to be deterministic. However, showing one process to be NON-deterministic DOES show the Universe to be non-deterministic. If you cannot grasp this very simple concept you are fighting a losing battle.

moving finger said:
Scientifically we cannot rule out determinism. Neither can we rule out indeterminism. Therefore all we can conclude (logically and scientifically) is that we do not know. Period.
Addressed earlier. Can be said about anything and is not science, however true it might be.

moving finger said:
You may claim that “this gets us nowhere” – but with respect that is not my problem, and it is not Nature’s problem. It is not Nature’s obligation to behave as we wish.
No, it is not your problem. It is OUR problem since we have to listen to you yack on about it as if you're the first person to ever notice this. As true as your statement may be, it has no philosophical or scientific worth here.

moving finger said:
If Nature is such that “we simply do not, and cannot, know” then, with respect, we better learn to live with it.
But since we do not know whether Nature is that way about a given process, your suggestion is irrelevant. We do not know for sure what we cannot know for sure, so again your argument has no application and no place in this discussion.

moving finger said:
The problem is that the scientific method fails at the epistemic horizon. For quantum processes, there is simply no way that the hypothesis “this process is indeterministic” can be falsified, and equally there is no way that the hypothesis “this process is deterministic” can be falsified.
MF
Do you know what an atom is? Do you know why it is called an atom? It means "indivisible", because it was thought that these particles were the most fundemental. It transpires they are not - the are comprimised of more "indivisible" particles, except some of those aren't "indivisible" either. And yet we still call the atom the atom and we all know what it means. This is yet another area under which you are mistaken: terminology.

The processes that we now call 'non-deterministic' may all, at some future point, be shown to be deterministic in principal, even if this has no practical advantage. Nonetheless, there will still be a requirement to distinguish such processes from other processes that we currently call 'deterministic'. Like the atom, the underlying truth may change, but the word and it's definition-by-applicability will remain.

I'm done on this thread. I don't think, MF, you are making a good argument. In fact I think you are more likely using this thread as an opportunity to get an unrelated matter off your chest - that we cannot truly know anything for sure. This thread is about determinism and indeterminism, it is not about epistimology, so your continued insistance on using this thread to sound off on this matter smacks of thread hi-jacking.

As I said: we UNDERSTAND your argument. Everyone had heard it many, many, many times before. We are all familiar with it. Everyone except you seems to understand that it goes without saying. So come up with something new and on-topic and stop trying to turn this thread into something it was not meant to be.

El Hombre Invisible, thank you and me too until and unless someone else comes up with a reasonable response.

El Hombre Invisible said:
I keep telling you I conclude neither that the Universe is deterministic, nor that it is not
See post #44 :
if you are to answer the question at all, the only logical answer is 'non-deterministic'.
…..
It is not useful to answer ……… with "we don't know"
And post #54
if you are to ask whether QM is deterministic or not (and any other answer is ignored), we have to go with the answer that best fits our best model (with the usual unspoken caveat) - that it is not deterministic.
If you do NOT (despite the quotes above) think the universe is non-deterministic, perhaps you would enlighten us and tell us what you DO think. Or is that a secret? Clearly you do not think “we don’t know” is acceptable. Neither do you think “the universe is deterministic” is acceptable. Then what is?
Or perhaps your answer is “I choose not to answer the question”?
Please do enlighten us.
Beyond the ignorance of what you are actually arguing about, you seem to be also ignorant of the fact that you are giving a very old, very overused, very pointless argument.
Let’s try to keep the discussion civil shall we? The above remarks are offensive and unnecssary, please do refrain from such childish behaviour. You betray your own low intelligence by resorting to such behaviour.
It would be annoying. In fact, you are demonstrating quite effectively how annoying it is.
With respect, I am equally annoyed by condescending and arrogant attitudes along the lines of “I know better than you, you are ignorant, so just shut up and believe what I am saying and let that be an end to it”.
The OP is not asking for absolute, God-like knowledge. Nor is it asking for beliefs. It asks for appraisals of accepted scientific notions.
And I have been giving such rational appraisals. You seem not to agree with what I am saying, but that is beside the point. You have every right to put forward your own opinion.
Grow up, mate.
Stop being so utterly childish yourself! If you are unable to discuss ideas rationally without resorting to personal insult then that reflects very badly on yourself. Grow up!
Everyone knows the argument. Everyone has heard it a million times before.
How arrogant of you that you seem to think you speak for “everyone”
We continue on the basis that accepted scientific notions are true pending such future discoveries. We don't NEED to reiterate this everytime we say or type a sentence.
With respect : There are those on this forum who INSIST that indeterminsim has been shown to be true. I refute that. If you are saying that I have no right to refute that, then please explain why, rather than resorting to insulting language.
Now... have I at the very least made myself clear? Because that's going to be the last time I explain why your argument is pointless and irritating.
You have made it clear that you have nothing useful to say apart from throwing out stupid and childish personal insults. Shame on you. If this is all you can do, and you are irritated by rational argument, perhaps you should not be here in the first place.
MF

moving finger said:
What particle? You slightly misrepresent the meaning of QM, I think, but in a common way.
Okay, you've tried to be cocky,
I have not “tried to be cocky” – I have responded to your post in exactly the same manner of your own preceding post, which was ::
You slightly misrepresent the HUP, I think, but in a common way.
Is this being cocky? It seems you are easily offended.
this is either ignorant or nonsense. They're still referred to as 'particles', or 'quantum particles' even in QM.
Now you are perhaps betraying your own ignorance of QM.
moving finger said:
There are also models which are purely deterministic, therefore using your own logic (from above) it follows that you also cannot answer “it is indeterministic”.
Okay, now you've blown too big a whole in your own argument. You only need one non-determinstic process in an otherwise deterministic Universe to have a non-deterministic Universe. A single process will do the trick. So no - showing a process to be deterministic does not show the Universe to be deterministic.
I never said that it did. Perhaps you can’t read?
I said “There are also models which are purely deterministic, therefore …….. you also cannot answer “it is indeterministic”.”
Which part of this says that the universe is deterministic?
However, showing one process to be NON-deterministic DOES show the Universe to be non-deterministic. If you cannot grasp this very simple concept you are fighting a losing battle.
If you cannot read and understand English you are wasting your time and mine.
It has not been shown that any process is non-deterministic. Period.
moving finger said:
Scientifically we cannot rule out determinism. Neither can we rule out indeterminism. Therefore all we can conclude (logically and scientifically) is that we do not know. Period.
Addressed earlier. Can be said about anything and is not science, however true it might be.
The basis of science is to proceed on the falsification of hypotheses.
Because of the HUP, the hypothesis “the world is indeterministic” is not falsifiable – this makes it unscientific.
Similarly the hypothesis “the world is deterministic” is also not falsifiable – this makes it unscientific.
The most science can say about the world beyond the HUP is that it appears to be indeterministic, but there is NO WAY we can test it, and no way we can know. Period.
It is OUR problem since we have to listen to you yack on about it as if you're the first person to ever notice this.
This infantile comment is not worthy of an intelligent reply.
We do not know for sure what we cannot know for sure, so again your argument has no application and no place in this discussion.
Feel free to engage in metaphysical speculation about what might or might not be possible beyond the bounds of our current scientific knowledge, but do not insult science by calling it science.
This is yet another area under which you are mistaken: terminology.
Give an example of my mistaken teminology. (oh, and this is from the person who thinks quantum objects are particles?)
As I said, feel free to engage in metaphysical speculation about what might or might not be possible beyond the bounds of our current scientific knowledge, but do not insult science by calling it science.
I'm done on this thread. I don't think, MF, you are making a good argument.
With respect, you are making no argument at all – your position seems to be “let’s forget about rational argument, let’s just throw out personal insults instead”
This thread is about determinism and indeterminism, it is not about epistimology, so your continued insistance on using this thread to sound off on this matter smacks of thread hi-jacking.
Oh I see, so the great know-it-all El Hombre Invisible decrees that a debate on determinism vs indeterminism has nothing at all to do with epistemology?
As I said: we UNDERSTAND your argument. Everyone had heard it many, many, many times before. We are all familiar with it.
again the arrogance to assume that you speak for everyone. i am amazed anyone can be so thoroughly arrogant. despite your assurances, there are still those on here who continue to argue that it has been shown that the world is indeterministic….. proving that you are indeed mistaken
With Respect
MF

Last edited:
2 cents :grumpy: : One of the hallmarks of this board is that the folks here generally uphold a higher level of respect for others. People will listen if you're genuine and considerate but you'll loose them if you debate using brute force. (was that $ .02?) :confused:

Q_Goest said:
2 cents :grumpy: : One of the hallmarks of this board is that the folks here generally uphold a higher level of respect for others. People will listen if you're genuine and considerate but you'll loose them if you debate using brute force. (was that $ .02?) :confused:
You can have my 2 cents for that. I agree completely with what you said.

I apologise to El Hombre if my last posts were somewhat emotive - in my defence I was simply replying to what appeared to me to be arrogant and offensive remarks directed to me in his/her own posts.

There is no need for arrogance, no need for insults, no need for offensive remarks. These tactics tend to be the resort of the few who have run out of rational argument.

nuff said

MF

Question : The poll results look weird. It shows 53.33% for and 53.33% against - is that just my display or is something not right?

anybody know what's going on?

perhaps the polling software is behaving indeterministically? :smile:

MF

moving finger said:
It means “there is an epistemic horizon beyond which it is impossible to see”. That epistemic horizon is characterised by the HUP.
I am not a sympathiser of Bohr, but he was right in his teaching that any speculation as to what is “really going on” is just that – speculation. All we can ever know is what we measure, we can never know “reality”.
In other words, we are blind to what is “really going on” at the quantum level. But it would be fallacious to conclude that our inability to falsify indeterminism necessarily means the world is indeterministic.

As usual, that argument would suggest that we have no scientific knowledge
about anything. As ever, it remains the case that indeterminism is the best
current hypothesis even if it isn't "necessarily" true.

If we agree that Occam's razor is the only basis for deciding the question determinism vs indeterminism then I am happy with that conclusion.

The conclusion that indeterminism, while not "necessarily" true,
is the best hypothesis?

Tournesol said:
it remains the case that indeterminism is the best
current hypothesis even if it isn't "necessarily" true.
I won't argue with the conclusion that indeterminism is not necessarily true - but the "best current hypothesis" is pure metaphysical speculation and imho a matter of subjective opinion

Tournesol said:
The conclusion that indeterminism, while not "necessarily" true,
is the best hypothesis?
see above (and the way I voted in the poll)

:smile:

MF

moving finger said:
I won't argue with the conclusion that indeterminism is not necessarily true - but the "best current hypothesis" is pure metaphysical speculation and imho a matter of subjective opinion

No, it is based on Occam's rzor.

see above (and the way I voted in the poll)

All I can see is a bunch of insults and wrangling.

While nothing is known with absolute certainty we can and do use the knowledge and logic at hand to come to tentative conclusions that are usable and accurate to enable us to change the world we live in.

I think that it has been successfully shown the the Universe is not wholly deterministic at lease within the present limits of our knowledge.

I still have yet to see anyone post their reason for believing that the Universe is deterministic.

Tournesol said:
No, it is based on Occam's razor.

I can argue just the opposite from Occam's razor - that the simplest explanaion is "it's determinism all the way down", there is no "magical boundary" at which a new paradigm of indeterminism takes over.

MF

Royce said:
I think that it has been successfully shown the the Universe is not wholly deterministic at lease within the present limits of our knowledge.
With respect, it has not been "shown the universe is not wholly deterministic".

All that has been shown is that "we do not know if the universe is deterministic or indeterministic" - the question has NOT been answered one way or the other according to strict scientific principles.

There are both workable deterministic and workable indeterministic hypotheses which explain everything we know about the world - neither has been ruled out by experiment.

Royce said:
I still have yet to see anyone post their reason for believing that the Universe is deterministic.

It is the same as the reason why some believe the world is indeterministic - it is purely a matter of belief/faith, not one that science has answered.

Or do you perhaps have another reason for believing it is indeterministic?

MF

moving finger said:
I can argue just the opposite from Occam's razor - that the simplest explanaion is "it's determinism all the way down", there is no "magical boundary" at which a new paradigm of indeterminism takes over.
MF

But the macroscopic world isn't uniformly deterministic.
And we can explain how macroscopic determinism arises
naturally from microscopic indeterminism -- no additional
metaphysical posits are required.

moving finger said:
With respect, it has not been "shown the universe is not wholly deterministic".

I and others have given examples with ample support that there are random events occurring in both the macro and micro scales of the universe. To the best of our present knowledge these examples are truly random and thus the universe is not wholly deterministic.

You have not accepted those examples as true examples of randomness but have not shown any support for your claims nor shown what makes the universe deterministic. What property of the universe determines everything that happens? Is it cause and effect? Then we end up with the First Cause or Uncaused Cause argument which is unanswerable and does not account for the random events that we sited. Occam's Razor applies equally well to both sides of the argument. However, I believe that and indeterministic universe is the simplest and least complicated, which Occam's Razor demands, because it is not calling for nor requires an unknown cause.

There are both workable deterministic and workable indeterministic hypotheses which explain everything we know about the world - neither has been ruled out by experiment.

This is simply not true. Experiments in Quantum physics, and radioactive decay show that there are random events that are not and cannot be deterministic to the best of our present knowledge. If you call forth unknown non-local entanglements for example you then are violating Occam's razor yourself while claiming that it makes determinism the best bet.

Tournesol said:
But the macroscopic world isn't uniformly deterministic.
Where is your evidence for the suggestion that the world isn't uniformly ONTICALLY deterministic?

MF

moving finger said:
Where is your evidence for the suggestion that the world isn't uniformly ONTICALLY deterministic?

MF

Lack of macroscopic predictability

Lack of microscopic predictability.

P.S I didn't say "necessarily"

Royce said:
I and others have given examples with ample support that there are random events occurring in both the macro and micro scales of the universe.
With respect, examples have been provided of “epistemic indeterminability”. Epistemic indeterminability does NOT necessarily imply ontic indeterminism. I trust by now that you understand the difference.

Royce said:
To the best of our present knowledge these examples are truly random and thus the universe is not wholly deterministic.
To the best of our knowledge these examples are examples of epistemic indeterminability; epistemic indeterminability is not synonymous with ontic indeterminism; and thus we really have no idea whether the universe is wholly deterministic or not.

Royce said:
You have not accepted those examples as true examples of randomness but have not shown any support for your claims nor shown what makes the universe deterministic.
I have never claimed that the universe IS deterministic. My claim all along has been “we have no way of knowing”, and whether one believes the universe is deterministic or not is a matter of FAITH and not of SCIENCE.

Royce said:
What property of the universe determines everything that happens? Is it cause and effect? Then we end up with the First Cause or Uncaused Cause argument which is unanswerable and does not account for the random events that we sited.
There is no “first cause” in a deterministic but unbounded spacetime

Royce said:
Occam's Razor applies equally well to both sides of the argument. However, I believe that and indeterministic universe is the simplest and least complicated, which Occam's Razor demands, because it is not calling for nor requires an unknown cause.
“you believe” is fine. I believe just the opposite – that the simplest solution is “everything is deterministic” – and there is no first cause because an unbounded spacetime requires no first cause. Which is also fine.

Royce said:
Royce said:
This is simply not true. Experiments in Quantum physics, and radioactive decay show that there are random events that are not and cannot be deterministic to the best of our present knowledge.
Here you are plainly mistaken. It is NOT POSSIBLE to show by experiment either that the world is ultimately deterministic, or that it is indeterministic. The HUP places a limit on what we can know about the world – whether the world is deterministic or not is BEYOND the HUP.

Royce said:
If you call forth unknown non-local entanglements for example you then are violating Occam's razor yourself while claiming that it makes determinism the best bet.
Is this any worse than calling forth unknown indeterminism?

(BTW – if you study QM closely you will find that the world IS non-local, and it IS entangled – whether or not it is deterministic)

MF

Tournesol said:
Lack of macroscopic predictability
Lack of microscopic predictability.
oh dear oh dear oh dear.

you still confuse predictability (an epistemic property) with deterministic (an ontic property)? No wonder you are confused

MF

moving finger said:
oh dear oh dear oh dear.
you still confuse predictability (an epistemic property) with deterministic (an ontic property)? No wonder you are confused
MF
Lack of ontic determinism is the simoplest explanantion for lackof epistemic predictability. Lack of ontic determinism is nonetheless not necessarily true..but what did I say ?

moving finger said:
I have never claimed that the universe IS deterministic. My claim all along has been “we have no way of knowing”, and whether one believes the universe is deterministic or not is a matter of FAITH and not of SCIENCE.
There is a middle way between Faith and Necessary Truth: best explanation.

Tournesol said:
Lack of ontic determinism is the simoplest explanantion for lackof epistemic predictability. Lack of ontic determinism is nonetheless not necessarily true..but what did I say ?
HUP is the simplest explanation for lack of epistemic predictability. And we understand why the HUP exists, which makes it an even better explanation. Ontic indeterminism is simply not necessary to explain anything.

MF

Tournesol said:
There is a middle way between Faith and Necessary Truth: best explanation.
Yep - and the best explanation is determinism all the way down :smile:

MF

moving finger said:
HUP is the simplest explanation for lack of epistemic predictability. And we understand why the HUP exists, which makes it an even better explanation. Ontic indeterminism is simply not necessary to explain anything.
MF

You think that HUP is something different from indeterminism ?
You think HUP is purely epistemic ?

Tournesol, I really cannot follow MF's line of thinking. Its like we're talking two different languages where words mean the opposite in the other.
If something is unknowable and unpredictable, truly random, then how can that support a deterministic universe view? To me it means the opposite, the Universe cannot be deterministic. Am I missing something or confused?