1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determintion of the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Determintion of the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I have to dertermine the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided. NOTE the volume strength as i'm not quite sure how to get this!!

I had to dilute 10ml, accurately measured, of the hydrogen peroxide to 100ml with distilled water using a volumetric flask. To 10ml of the dilution, 20ml bench sulphuric acid was added and then titrated with 0.02M potassium permanganate solution.

My results where: Titration 1 : 10.6ml
    Titration 2 : 10.5ml

The equation for the reaction is :

2KMnO4 + 3H2SO4 + 5H2O2 ====> K2SO4 + 2MnSO4 + 8H20 + 5O2

The molecular mass of hydrogen peroxide is 34.016

I really am stuck. I have been trying to work it out from 2 this afternoon, and now i can't even see straight :frown: If anyone can please guide me through i would be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance :smile:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Determintion of the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided

Please try to be more specific, as it is not clear what is your problem. Do you know how to calculate number of moles of hydrogen peroxide in your sample? Do you know what is the definition of "volume strength"?

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Re: Determintion of the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided

Hi, yes i pretty much need to know how to work out the molarity. And then i do believe i need to work out how to convert this to volume strength. Thanks for your time x

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You still didn't answer Borek's question. Do you know how to calculate moles of hydrogen peroxide in the sample you titrated?

Hint: for every 2 moles of permanganate, you neutralize 5 moles of hydrogen peroxide.

6. Nov 11, 2008 #5

knowing that the mole ratio is 2:5 doesnt change anything the real question here is what is volume strength
    i think volume strenght is = factor x titre x nominal x gas present.

7. Nov 12, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am doing my best to understand what you mean and I fail. What is "gas present", what is "factor" - as long as you don't define terms used, your definition is useless.

Volume strength is the ratio of the volume of oxygen gas liberated to the volume of H2O2 solution used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?