Deuterium (d,p) reaction Q-value

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the energy or heat of the reaction (d,p) by using the binding energy of deuterium and the binding energy of the neutron captured by the target. The equation used is Bn / A ≈ 8 MeV, where Bn is the binding energy and A is the atomic number. The attempt at solving the problem involved finding the binding energy of deuterium, which is 2.225MeV, and the mass of deuterium, which is 1875.628MeV. However, there is a lack of clarity in the problem statement and further clarification is needed from the professor.
dirtyhippy

Homework Statement

Express the energy (Or heat of the reaction Q) of the reaction (d,p) as a function of the binding energy of deuterium and the binding energy of the neutron captured by the target.

Homework Equations

Bn / A ≈ 8 MeV

Bn = Binding energy, A = Atomic Number

Q = E(reactants) - E(products)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is translated form a french paper hence the lack of clarity,
basically our attempts involved finding the Binding energy of deuteron is E=2.225MeV, and the mass of deuteron is 1875.628MeV.

This means that m(d)-m(p)-m(n)=2.225MeV.

and that's where I am stuck?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Is deuterium the target or is it the product? Your question is leaving out some details. Also what is 'd' and 'p'? It is also best if you write out the whole chemical formula.

See this is on a french physics handout which has me bewildered as I'm not a chemist, but a little cross discipline never hurt.

I think the d,p refers to deuterium proton which decays to a neutron. I think i'll go see my Professor and ask exactly what he's asking and post it up as I can't seem to find this example or solution anywhere, so it may be of useful reference to someone in the future.

Could just be shoddy translation on my part. I suspect.

Thanks

1. What is the Deuterium (d,p) reaction?

The Deuterium (d,p) reaction is a nuclear reaction in which a deuterium nucleus (consisting of one proton and one neutron) collides with a target nucleus, resulting in the formation of a proton and a helium-3 nucleus.

2. What is the Q-value of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction?

The Q-value of a nuclear reaction is the difference between the initial energy of the reactants and the final energy of the products. In the case of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction, the Q-value is the amount of energy released as a result of the reaction.

3. How is the Q-value of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction calculated?

The Q-value of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction can be calculated using the mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc². The difference in mass between the reactants (deuterium and target nucleus) and the products (proton and helium-3 nucleus) is used to calculate the Q-value.

4. What is the significance of the Q-value in the Deuterium (d,p) reaction?

The Q-value is a measure of the energy released in a nuclear reaction. In the case of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction, the Q-value is used to determine the efficiency of the reaction and the amount of energy that can be harnessed from it.

5. Can the Q-value of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction be changed?

The Q-value of the Deuterium (d,p) reaction is a fixed value that is determined by the masses of the reactants and products. However, the efficiency of the reaction can be improved by using different target nuclei or altering the conditions of the reaction.