Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Deuterium (d,p) reaction Q-value

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express the energy (Or heat of the reaction Q) of the reaction (d,p) as a function of the binding energy of deuterium and the binding energy of the neutron captured by the target.

2. Relevant equations

Bn / A ≈ 8 MeV

Bn = Binding energy, A = Atomic Number

Q = E(reactants) - E(products)

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem is translated form a french paper hence the lack of clarity,
    basically our attempts involved finding the Binding energy of deuteron is E=2.225MeV, and the mass of deuteron is 1875.628MeV.

This means that m(d)-m(p)-m(n)=2.225MeV.

and thats where im stuck?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    Is deuterium the target or is it the product? Your question is leaving out some details. Also what is 'd' and 'p'? It is also best if you write out the whole chemical formula.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    See this is on a french physics handout which has me bewildered as I'm not a chemist, but a little cross discipline never hurt.

I think the d,p refers to deuterium proton which decays to a neutron. I think i'll go see my Professor and ask exactly what he's asking and post it up as I cant seem to find this example or solution anywhere, so it may be of useful reference to someone in the future.

Could just be shoddy translation on my part. I suspect.

Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook