1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deuteron Wavefunction Question

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the first question from a past exam paper I'm doing at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's a case that I'm doing something stupid, or if there is a problem with the question.

Q: The wavefunction of a deuteron can be approximated by:
    [tex] \psi (r) = \frac{C}{r} e^{-\alpha r} [/tex]
    Where [itex] \alpha = 0.23 fm^{-1}[/itex]Calculate the Normalisation Constant, C.

What is the probability that the separation of the two nucleons in the deuteron exceeds 2 fm, and what is their average separation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To work out C, I did:
    [tex] \psi^{*}(r) = \frac{C}{r}e^{-\alpha r} [/tex]
    [tex] C^2 \int^{\infty}_{0} r^{-2} e^{-2 \alpha r} = 1 [/tex]

But if you work out this integral, it diverges, so what now?

As for the other part(s), am I right in thinking that you do something along the lines of:
    [tex] P(r>2fm) = \int^{\infty}_{2*10^{-15}} \psi(r) \psi^{*}(r) dr [/tex]
    and
    [tex] <r> = \int^{\infty}_{0} \psi(r) r \psi^{*}(r) dr [/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2
    I think you shloud integrate over the whole space, so [tex]d^3x =r^2\sin\theta d\phi d\theta dr [/tex] because of the spherical geometry. However, in your case it should be [tex]r^2 dr[/tex] instead of [tex]dr[/tex] due to the radial part. I get [tex]C=\sqrt{2 \alpha}[/tex] and [tex] <r> = \frac{1}{2 \alpha}[/tex], but you should calcuate these results because I did the operations quickly.

I hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?