Deuteron Wavefunction Question

In summary, the question asks for the normalization constant of the wavefunction of a deuteron, as well as the probability that the separation of the two nucleons in the deuteron exceeds 2 fm and their average separation. The attempt at a solution involves using the wavefunction and its complex conjugate to find the normalization constant and calculate the probabilities. The integral diverges, so further calculations are needed. It is also suggested to integrate over the whole space instead of just the radial part. The suggested values for the normalization constant and average separation are C = √(2α) and <r> = 1/2α, respectively.
ppyadof

Homework Statement

This is the first question from a past exam paper I'm doing at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's a case that I'm doing something stupid, or if there is a problem with the question.

Q: The wavefunction of a deuteron can be approximated by:
[tex] \psi (r) = \frac{C}{r} e^{-\alpha r} [/tex]
Where [itex] \alpha = 0.23 fm^{-1}[/itex]Calculate the Normalisation Constant, C.

What is the probability that the separation of the two nucleons in the deuteron exceeds 2 fm, and what is their average separation.

The Attempt at a Solution

To work out C, I did:
[tex] \psi^{*}(r) = \frac{C}{r}e^{-\alpha r} [/tex]
[tex] C^2 \int^{\infty}_{0} r^{-2} e^{-2 \alpha r} = 1 [/tex]

But if you work out this integral, it diverges, so what now?

As for the other part(s), am I right in thinking that you do something along the lines of:
[tex] P(r>2fm) = \int^{\infty}_{2*10^{-15}} \psi(r) \psi^{*}(r) dr [/tex]
and
[tex] <r> = \int^{\infty}_{0} \psi(r) r \psi^{*}(r) dr [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you shloud integrate over the whole space, so [tex]d^3x =r^2\sin\theta d\phi d\theta dr [/tex] because of the spherical geometry. However, in your case it should be [tex]r^2 dr[/tex] instead of [tex]dr[/tex] due to the radial part. I get [tex]C=\sqrt{2 \alpha}[/tex] and [tex] <r> = \frac{1}{2 \alpha}[/tex], but you should calcuate these results because I did the operations quickly.

I hope this helps.

1. What is a deuteron wavefunction?

A deuteron wavefunction is a mathematical description of the behavior and properties of a deuteron, which is a type of atomic nucleus made up of one proton and one neutron. It represents the probability of finding the particles within the nucleus at any given time and location.

2. How is the deuteron wavefunction calculated?

The deuteron wavefunction is calculated using quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the mass, charge, and energy of the particles, as well as the forces between them, to determine the behavior of the wavefunction.

3. What factors affect the deuteron wavefunction?

The deuteron wavefunction is affected by various factors, such as the distance between the proton and neutron, the nuclear forces between them, and the energy and momentum of the particles. It is also influenced by external factors, such as external electric or magnetic fields.

4. How does the deuteron wavefunction relate to nuclear reactions?

The behavior of the deuteron wavefunction can provide insight into the dynamics of nuclear reactions, such as fusion or radioactive decay. By understanding the wavefunction, scientists can predict the likelihood and outcomes of these reactions.

5. Can the deuteron wavefunction be observed or measured?

No, the deuteron wavefunction itself cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations, leading to a better understanding of the behavior of atomic nuclei.