Developing a game that requires a physics engine with little knowledge

In summary, the mass of your arm will not affect the outcome of swinging a 2kg iron sword in a half circle arc with a radius of 1.5 meters in 0.5 seconds. The momentum of the sword can be calculated using its mass and velocity, while the total force can be calculated using the mass and acceleration (F = ma). The acceleration can be found using the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the arc. The velocity can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the arc by the time it takes to complete it. The impulse, which is equal to the force multiplied by the time it is applied, will be greater when striking cured leather compared to
Xakarath
Hello, This is my first post and if anyone can direct me to any links that would help I would appreciate it, but I'm having trouble understanding this on my own. I am developing a game with a physics engine and the scope I have in mind would require these calculations.

I understand some of Physics, such as F=ma, momentum, velocity, and centripetal force but putting it all together is confusing. So I will instead ask a question for clarity.

I have an Iron Sword that has a Mass of 2kg. I swing said object in a half circle arc (presumably creating centripetal force). The radius of my arm plus the sword is 1.5 meters making half the circumference roughly ~3.53 Meters at the tip of the blade. This entire actions takes me 0.5 seconds to perform.

Would the mass of my arm affect the outcome?
What is my momentum?
What is the total force?
What is my acceleration?
What is my velocity?
What is impulse and how would it affect this situation if I struck cured leather compared to other Iron?

Science news on Phys.org
The mass of your arm will not affect the outcome, as the force is only acting on the sword. The momentum of the sword is equal to the mass of the sword times its velocity. The total force is equal to the mass of the sword multiplied by the acceleration (F = ma). The acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the arc of the sword's swing. The velocity can be calculated by taking the circumference of the arc and dividing it by the time it takes to complete the arc. The impulse is equal to the force multiplied by the time that the force is applied. If you strike cured leather compared to other iron, the impulse will be greater as the force will be greater due to the greater resistance of the leather.

1. How important is it to have a physics engine when developing a game?

A physics engine is a crucial component for creating realistic and immersive game environments. It allows for objects to interact with each other in a believable manner, adding depth and complexity to gameplay. Without a physics engine, games would feel static and unrealistic.

2. Can I develop a game with a physics engine without extensive knowledge of physics?

While a basic understanding of physics concepts can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep knowledge of physics to develop a game with a physics engine. There are many game development tools and resources available that make it easier for developers to incorporate physics into their games without needing to be experts in the field.

3. What are some common challenges when developing a game with a physics engine?

One common challenge is balancing realism with gameplay. While a physics engine can add realism to a game, it can also make gameplay too difficult or frustrating. Another challenge is optimizing performance, as physics calculations can be computationally intensive and impact game performance if not properly managed.

4. Are there different types of physics engines available for game development?

Yes, there are different types of physics engines that cater to different types of games. Some are specifically designed for 2D games, while others are more suitable for 3D games. Some also offer additional features like cloth simulation or fluid dynamics. It's important to research and choose the best physics engine for your specific game needs.

5. How can I improve my knowledge and skills in using a physics engine for game development?

There are many resources available, such as tutorials, online courses, and forums, that can help you improve your knowledge and skills in using a physics engine for game development. It's also helpful to practice and experiment with the engine, as hands-on experience is often the best way to learn. Collaborating with other developers and seeking feedback can also aid in improving your skills.