Build Your Best Resume: Expert Tips for Recent College Graduates

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary: Some are freeware. Try Jarte if you have Windows installed but have no other word processor. The download has a freeware version.If Windows, you do not NEED to have Word installed to create or read DOC files. Alternatives to Word are available. Some are freeware. Try Jarte if you have Windows installed but have no other word processor. The download has a freeware version.At this point I just edit all my document in txt format or in latex, but i guess i am too extreme.
JasonJo
Hey, what is the best resource for making/editing a resume? I don't have that much work experience, since I was aiming to go to graduate school. But since I am now a recent college graduate and I'm considering not going to graduate school, I will be applying for some jobs. My resume is crap and I would like to make it better.

Any software recommendations for making a good resume?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Google: latex resume template

I use LateX... My advice would be to Google around for LateX resumes that you think are nicely done and then modify the originals where you see necessary.

Nice mind-reading Gokul. Next time I won't make a cup of tea before pressing the "post" button.

Gokul43201 said:
Google: latex resume template
The bad part is that many recruiter wants *.doc format.. I am so mad with that! Why don't they just accept pretty open source *.pdf! BTW I am full linux user.. so yeah

Last edited:
If they want it in .doc format only, they probably dump it into a database that parses it for keywords.

You could use that to your advantage...

ks_physicist said:
If they want it in .doc format only, they probably dump it into a database that parses it for keywords.

You could use that to your advantage...

Or they can just take *.txt format. The problem is that *.doc is an close-source format and I just don't have microsoft word to do that. Moreover that can be done on .pdf too if they really try to. But I do agree what you say

google:

resume filetype:pdf

or

resume filetype:doc

or to get more specialized results

resume physics filetype:pdf

etc.

leon1127 said:
Or they can just take *.txt format. The problem is that *.doc is an close-source format and I just don't have microsoft word to do that. Moreover that can be done on .pdf too if they really try to. But I do agree what you say

Which operating system? If Windows, you do not NEED to have Word installed to create or read DOC files. Alternatives to Word are available. Some are freeware. Try Jarte if you have Windows installed but have no other word processor. The download has a freeware version.

symbolipoint said:
Which operating system? If Windows, you do not NEED to have Word installed to create or read DOC files. Alternatives to Word are available. Some are freeware. Try Jarte if you have Windows installed but have no other word processor. The download has a freeware version.

Well if i really want to, I can use openoffice (i am linux user). But M$ w0rd has problem within its different version. Thus the formatting would be messed up if you go from non-word to other. This is very true because it is not even fully compatible with wordperfect.. i just hate it because it is close source. It also sucks at alignment too when you try to write resume.

At this point I just edit all my document in txt format or in latex, but i guess i am too extreme.

What is the purpose of a resume?

A resume is a document that provides a summary of your education, work experience, skills, and achievements. Its purpose is to showcase your qualifications and convince potential employers to invite you for an interview.

What should I include in my resume?

Your resume should include your contact information, a professional summary or objective, your work experience, education, skills, and any relevant achievements or certifications. It should also be tailored to the specific job you are applying for.

How long should my resume be?

The length of your resume will depend on your level of experience. As a general rule, a resume should be no longer than two pages for someone with less than 10 years of experience. However, if you have a lot of relevant experience, you may need to go onto a third page.

What makes a resume stand out?

A resume that stands out is one that is well-organized, visually appealing, and tailored to the specific job. It should also highlight your achievements and provide specific examples of your skills and experiences. Additionally, having a strong and error-free cover letter can also make your resume stand out.

How can I make my resume more effective?

To make your resume more effective, be sure to use strong action verbs, provide specific examples and quantifiable results, and tailor your resume to the job description. Additionally, proofread your resume for any errors and have someone else review it as well. You can also consider including a link to your professional portfolio or LinkedIn profile.