1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Developing equation for rare gas thermometer using F

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Develop an analogous equation for a rare gas thermometer using the Fahrenheit scale as reference points.

2. Relevant equations

T = aL + b where L is length of metal rod used to determine scale, a and b are constants

expansion coefficient = 2.7315

3. The attempt at a solution

So we derived the formula for Kelvin scale in class using T = aL + b, and now we're supposed to do the same with Fahrenheit. I've been working for a little over a week now and have come up with little to nothing. I don't need answers, I need somewhere to start

I tried using 32, the freezing point in the F scale, in that first equation to get

32 = aL + b

When we used Celsius to get the Kelvin scale, this worked well because freezing point was zero and that meant b = -aL ... from there I could figure the rest of the derivation out..

I tried to use 212 as the boiling point to get:

212 = aL + b

I then substituted b from the second equation into the first, took up a few pieces of paper with math, and came out with a bunch of hot mess.... any suggestions???

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted