Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Developing equation for specific wave

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    First off I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I was not certain to where it belonged. If I am given a set of requirements for an e-m wave, i.e.: must contain all following: transverse, 3d, plane wave, propagation vector parallel to (-1,0,1), through plane defined by (1,0,1) and (0,1,0), etc (from memory). How would I begin to write an equation for this? I assuming I must start with say: Ae^ik[(alpha(x)+beta(y)+gamma(z))±wt] or some variant, but I am a bit weak when it comes to crafting equations. Perhaps I am lacking in my pedagogy, I just can't seem to see the big picture. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your wave will have the form
    [tex]\vec E = \vec E_0 e^{i \left( \vec k \cdot \vec x - \omega t \right)}[/tex]
    where [itex]\vec k[/itex] is in the direction of propagation and [itex]\vec E _0[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\vec k[/itex] and in the direction of polarization.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?