Developing special and general relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses a project in English class where the speaker chose to research Einstein as a media idol. They mention comparing what the media portrays about Einstein to his actual accomplishments in developing special and general relativity. The speaker asks for suggestions for short articles on Einstein's theories, and someone suggests the book "Einstein's Cosmos" by Michio Kaku.
Zeteg
Well, I have a project in English class, actually, to look at a media idol. I chose Einstein! While I've already gotten the pepsi comercial, I need more information.

I was thinking of comparing what he actually did while developing special and general relativity, to what the media now want us to believe happened. For example, in the pepsi comerical, it makes it seem that the idea could have just hit him in the head - which I'm sure isn't the case.

Does anyone have any information, or know where I can get some short articles (not books please) relating to him when he developed the theories?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, that's embarrasing. Thanks =)

I strongly suggest reading this book: Einstein's Cosmos by Michio Kaku

1. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. How did Albert Einstein develop the theory of relativity?

Einstein developed the theory of relativity through thought experiments and mathematical equations, building upon the work of previous scientists such as Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell.

3. What are some real-life applications of relativity?

Some real-life applications of relativity include GPS technology, which relies on precise timing and the effects of both special and general relativity, and the understanding of black holes and the behavior of light in extreme gravitational fields.

4. Is relativity a proven theory?

Yes, both special and general relativity have been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. They are considered to be some of the most well-established and successful theories in physics.

5. Can anyone understand the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity can be difficult to understand, but with dedication and study, anyone can grasp the basic concepts and principles. It is often helpful to have a background in mathematics and physics, but there are also many resources available for non-scientists to learn about relativity.