1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deviation of a block

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    First of all: Sorry about my English, but I am from France ;-)
    The problem:
    Somebody shoots into a block which is put up on two free running ropes and now you want to determine the velocity of the projectile by measuring the deviation of the block. I also have to consider gravity, which may protect the block from being deviated and the projectile gets stuck to the block, if this is important.
    I want to add that the mass of the projectile, the mass of the block and the length of the ropes are known.
    I am sorry that I can’t offer you an initial stage for a solution. The only thing I know is that the conservation of momentum may be a possible approach

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Gavroy! Welcome to PF! :smile:

In questions like this, divide the motion into two stages, the collision and the swing …

i] in the collision, momentum is conserved, so find the final velocity for the collision, wchi becomes the initial velocity for the swing

ii] in the swing, (mechanical) energy is conserved :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook