Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Device for rotating a cord

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    This is a thought experiment: My PC is mounted on my ceiling. I want to run a USB peripheral through a cylindrical retraction device (like a dog leash). The device is going to mount to the ceiling also and rotate about it's vertical axis. This will allow me to pull down the mouse from the ceiling and use it at any point in the 10x10ft room below. NOW, let's say I want to be able to rotate around that retraction device with impunity, as many times (in one direction or the other) as I want. The problem is this: as the USB cable is pulled around and around it will begin to twist and eventually fail. I thought that a possible solution might be to let the USB rotate (to prevent the twisting) at it's connection point on the PC, but this device doesn't seem to exist. Also, what about proprietary (non-USB) cables?

I have a real use case, but it's too hard to explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

The search term you need is 'usb slip ring'.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    are you thinking something like this?

2i0cjme.jpg

5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wireless mouse .

6. Dec 1, 2016 #5
    These devices have limits, namely a SINGLE rotation function.

7. Dec 1, 2016 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.
    I agree with Nidum. Why in the world are you not using a wireless mouse? Cables seem like such a pain for your ceiling-mounted PC...

8. Dec 1, 2016 #7
    Because this is a thought experiment. I'm trying to extract a possible solution by describing a simulacrum. Do you think I got this far without being aware of wireless mice? I apologize if that seems rude, but I was directed to these forums with the assumption that I would be respected even though my knowledge is limited. Nidum's response is dismissive and callous.

Thank you for the welcome.

9. Dec 1, 2016 #8

berkeman

I disagree. If I'd seen your post before him, I would have made the same suggestion.

What about the USB slip ring suggestions? Those would seem to fit your uber-strange requirements pretty well...

10. Dec 1, 2016 #9
    In fact, I am reading about this USB slip ring right now.

http://www.moflon.com/musb.html

Truly fascinating, but it's a lot to absorb. I will report back when I have a firmer grasp.

11. Dec 2, 2016 #10

NascentOxygen

Security considerations, perhaps? Wireless devices are easily sniffed. Someone could reconstruct what you're drawing, or the order of your voting preferences, or ....

12. Dec 2, 2016 #11
    I have designed many such slip-rings and indeed combined them with cable retractors so as to offer full xyz manouvrability in a room without being entangled. These devices can be very compact and can be bespoke designed, but maintaining signal quality on a slip-ring requires high quality materials.

13. Dec 3, 2016 #12

Baluncore

Science Advisor

14. Dec 9, 2016 #13

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted