Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dewar flask query

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    I have an old dewar flask i found on clean up day, i was wondering, when i shake it, i hear a strange clinging noise inside, what could it be? (its the type used for bio samples)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Have you tried looking inside? My first thought is that it's broken, and a piece of glass is rattling around between the walls.
    Also, I assume that you mean a clanging noise. Clinging is usually silent, with perhaps a moan or two. :tongue:

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    I can just see the bottom, where the sample holders go, there are no signs of break, but there could be a crack at the top somewhere. only way i can check it still has vacuum, is to fill it with n2 or ice and see how long it lasts?

Sorry about my onomatopoeia

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Don't be; I can't make jokes without ammunition. :biggrin:

edit: Come to think of it, can you use an inspection mirror? That's a small mirror on the end of a telescoping handle similar to a an old portable radio antenna. You can get one for a couple of bucks at any auto parts supplier and most hardware stores. (They're used by mechanics to check in tight spaces and under things.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  6. Apr 24, 2013 #5

FlexGunship

Gold Member

dewar-flask.jpg

I believe this happens when the scotch hardens into candy.

7. Apr 24, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

Jeez, Flex! Long time, no giggles. From wherever you've been hiding, welcome back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook