1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dewar Flask

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    I wasn't quite sure which category this fit into, and if it's not this one, I'm sorry.

A couple of friends and I are great friends with our physics teacher. He is a great guy.
    He likes to use LN2 alot, but to rent a dewar flask is fairly expensive he says and they're not always available.

A couple of friends and I are deciding to surprise him at the end of this year with a "you're awesome, thank you" gift at the end of this year. We were planning on getting him a Dewar Flask, about 4 L big. If anyone can help me out in picking out a good quality one for under around 400$ that would be great.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

To me, a Dewar flask is my hip pocket Scotch supply. You can get one for about $5.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    awesome, I've always wanted to get a flask!

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

If, for some reason, you can't manage to get an affordable Dewar flask, you could always go with a Klein bottle instead. :biggrin:
    http://www.kleinbottle.com/

Actually, I hadn't thought about this before, but that would be a great way to keep my stash away from parasitic visitors who aren't smart enough to get the Scotch out.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Mar 4, 2008 #8
  10. Mar 4, 2008 #9
    OK, I know you wanted to buy one, but here's what our physics teacher said he used to do. He'd go to a welding supply store to buy some LN2 and when asked if he had a Dewar flask he'd simply say no and they would let him sign for one and put down something like a $500 deposit. Sounds like a cool gift.

11. Mar 4, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With $400, you should be able to easily buy a nice, silvered glass 10L dewar if you don't mind buying used.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  12. Mar 4, 2008 #11
    At the end of my last semester as an undergrad, I bought my aero professor a bottle of booze because I enjoyed his class the most of all the ones I had that semester. That was the only time I bought a teacher anything. It was more like, cheers, im done with this sh!t! Hes a good professor though, and a good guy. Hes pretty young for a professor, early 30's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?