Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dewar Flask

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    I wasn't quite sure which category this fit into, and if it's not this one, I'm sorry.

A couple of friends and I are great friends with our physics teacher. He is a great guy.
    He likes to use LN2 alot, but to rent a dewar flask is fairly expensive he says and they're not always available.

A couple of friends and I are deciding to surprise him at the end of this year with a "you're awesome, thank you" gift at the end of this year. We were planning on getting him a Dewar Flask, about 4 L big. If anyone can help me out in picking out a good quality one for under around 400$ that would be great.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

To me, a Dewar flask is my hip pocket Scotch supply. You can get one for about $5.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    awesome, I've always wanted to get a flask!

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

If, for some reason, you can't manage to get an affordable Dewar flask, you could always go with a Klein bottle instead. :biggrin:
    http://www.kleinbottle.com/

Actually, I hadn't thought about this before, but that would be a great way to keep my stash away from parasitic visitors who aren't smart enough to get the Scotch out.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  9. Mar 4, 2008 #8
  10. Mar 4, 2008 #9
    OK, I know you wanted to buy one, but here's what our physics teacher said he used to do. He'd go to a welding supply store to buy some LN2 and when asked if he had a Dewar flask he'd simply say no and they would let him sign for one and put down something like a $500 deposit. Sounds like a cool gift.

11. Mar 4, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With $400, you should be able to easily buy a nice, silvered glass 10L dewar if you don't mind buying used.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  12. Mar 4, 2008 #11
    At the end of my last semester as an undergrad, I bought my aero professor a bottle of booze because I enjoyed his class the most of all the ones I had that semester. That was the only time I bought a teacher anything. It was more like, cheers, im done with this sh!t! Hes a good professor though, and a good guy. Hes pretty young for a professor, early 30's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?