Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dfiference between demux and decoder

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1
    could someone draw a clear distinction between these two for me? or are they basically the same?
    Decoder usually takes several inputs (2^n) and produces n outputs. Multiplexer is a switch but demultiplexer....if it's inverse of multiplexer than it has to have at least several inputs but the simplest mux has only 1 output, which means that if it is used as demux, it has only 1 input.
    Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2
    I think a decoder takes n inputs and produces [tex]2^n[/tex] outputs. I know that it is possible to turn a decoder into a mux, not sure about a mux to decoder.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Let's clarify:
    A decoder takes n inputs and produces 2^n outputs. An encoder takes 2^n inputs and produces n outputs.
    A multiplexer selects one line from many lines. The inverse of selection is distribution. A demux essentially transmits data from one line line to 2^n possible output lines. The output line is determined by n select lines. In short, a multiplexer selects an input line, a demultiplexer selects an output line.

The differences between these two circuits is subtle, as far as I can tell. A demux simply selects an output line, nothing more. It's a glorified switch. A decoder takes n inputs, and uses those inputs to determine which of the 2^n output lines is high. This is the difference, I think. A decoder is designed to simply keep one line high. A demux is designed to set one output equal to the input (whether it be high, low, or a changing signal).

I'm just learning this stuff myself, so if I made a mistake, please correct me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?