Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DFT algorithm

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    from my reading to DFT I constructed this algorithm

V ex....>[tex]\rho[/tex] ....[tex]\varphi[/tex].....SCF....new[tex]\varphi[/tex]>>>new[tex]\rho[/tex] ....energy

what your opinion in this algorithm ... is lost to some thing ?

and i need to some one tell me is density come from wave function or from V-external ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

I don't see how that constitutes an algorithm (feel free to prove me wrong by writing an implementation).

Charitably interpreting that as a general statement to the effect of "You can use an SCF-like procedure to calculate the density", then that's true. It's also what everyone's been doing for the last 40 years, solving the Kohn-Sham equations. The difficulty in developing the Roothaan-Hall and Kohn-Sham equations wasn't finding an iterative procedure to solve them. They already knew how to solve eigenvalue problems. The difficulty was reformulating the problem into a generalized eigenvalue problem. You're approaching the problem backwards.

4. Aug 31, 2010 #3
    I construct this scheme for understanding DFT not for treatment something ... so I have Problem with density equation ... what the equation that include the Vex with electron density ... this my Problem ... thanks alxm for interest

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook