DFT calculations for metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of using Density Functional Theory (DFT) for theoretical analysis of metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide. The speaker was new to theoretical analysis and was looking for guidance on how to proceed with simple calculations, such as DFT. They also inquired about any authentic books or websites with DFT calculation codes for understanding the electronic properties of these materials. Suggestions were given for resources, such as publications, tutorials, and YouTube videos, to help with the initial learning process.
Azhar007
TL;DR Summary
I am doing experimental research on metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide, I also want to do some theoretical analysis.
I am doing experimental research on metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide, I also want to do some theoretical analysis. I am new in theoretical, so I need guidance how to proceed with the simple calculations, like DFT. Is there any authentic book with examples? and also is there any website with DFT calculations codes for understanding the electronic properties of metal oxide semiconductors (for example TiO2) and Graphene oxide? or any other suggestion how to initially proceed?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each DFT program has its own syntax. For solid state, I’ve used AbInit and Quantum Espresso and both have links to good tutorials on their websites (QE’s documentation leaves something to be desired, though). QE also comes with a bevy of examples that give a good idea of how to put together input files. YouTube also is a pretty good resource for certain types of calculations with certain programs.

I've been using Quantum Espresso with Atomic Simulation Environment, which is a Python scripting tool which makes setting up QE runs a million times easier. When I started I worked through several tutorials and I would say that is the best way to start.

Some of these tutorials are great, like the NEB and surface diffusion:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/ase/tutorials/tutorials.html

I used this one too
https://blog.levilentz.com/band-diagram-tutorial-for-quantum-espresso/

There was an excellent set of exercises I used for QE but I cannot find them again, I'll update later if I find it.

1. What is the purpose of using DFT calculations for metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide?

DFT (Density Functional Theory) calculations are used to study the electronic structure and properties of materials, including metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide. These calculations provide valuable insights into the behavior of these materials at the atomic level, allowing scientists to understand and predict their properties and potential applications.

2. How do DFT calculations work?

DFT calculations use quantum mechanical principles to solve the many-body Schrödinger equation for a given system of atoms. This involves approximating the complex many-body interactions between electrons and nuclei in the material, and using mathematical algorithms to calculate the electronic density and energy of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using DFT calculations for metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide?

DFT calculations are advantageous because they provide a relatively accurate and efficient way to study the electronic structure and properties of materials. They also allow for the investigation of a wide range of systems and conditions, making it possible to explore different configurations and predict the behavior of materials under different circumstances.

4. What are some potential applications of DFT calculations for metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide?

DFT calculations have numerous potential applications, including in the development of new materials for energy storage, electronics, and catalysis. They can also be used to understand and improve the performance of existing materials, as well as to guide experimental research and design new materials with specific properties.

5. Are there any limitations to DFT calculations for metal oxide semiconductors and graphene oxide?

While DFT calculations are a powerful tool for studying materials, they do have some limitations. These include the approximations and simplifications made in the calculations, which may not accurately capture the full complexity of the material. Additionally, DFT calculations may be computationally expensive and require high-performance computing resources.