1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DFT Properties

1. Jan 17, 2014 #1
    Problem:

The first six values of the 10-point DFT of a real-valued sequence x(n) are given by

{10, −2 + j3, 3 + j4, 2 − j3, 4 + j5, 12}

Determine the DFT of x[n] = x[n+5] (10 point sequence)

Relevant Equations:

DFT(x[n-m]) = exp(-j*(2pi/N)*k*m) * X(k)
    where N = 10 ; m = -5

Attempt:
    Using the relevant equation calculating 6 points of the DFT from the shifted input is straight forward as X(k) is given 0<=k<=5 from the six point DFT series given.
    I am failing to see how to calculate the 10 point series however. My intuition is that it has something to do with the periodicity of the DFT but I cannot see any patterns emerging from shifting the input. The magnitudes of the coefficients don't seem to change but their angles due, Still I can not spot any patterns...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2014 #2
    I figured it out! In case anyone gets held up by something similar,

By paying attention to the symmetry property of DFT for a real valued input X(n) = X*(N-n) where X represents the DFT coefficients and N is the fundamental period, in this case 10, the remaining coefficients (n = 6:9) can be determined

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted