1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DGL 2. Order

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    Hello everybody!

Here are two ODE 2nd order I tried to solve, but I failed :(

r''[t] - k/(r[t])^2 = 0

xy''[x] = ay[x] + b

Could anyone of you please help me?

Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the independent variable, t, does not appear in the first problem, it can be handled by "quadrature". Let u= r'. r"= u' and, by the chain rule, u'= du/dt= (du/dr)(dr/dt)= ru'. The equation for u is then ru'+ k/r^2= 0 which can be solved by a direct integration: ru'= -k/r^2 so u'= -k/r^3= -kr^(-3) and, finally, du= -kr^(-3)dr. Integrating, r'= u= (1/2)kr^(-2)+ C. That is a separable equation for r:
    [tex]\frac{dr}{(1/2)kr^{-2}+ C}= \frac{r^2 dr}{(1/2)k+ Cr^2}= dt[/tex]
    You may find the left side of that to be a very difficult integration.

As for the second, xy"= ay+ b, that is a linear differential equation with constant coefficients. It probably would be simplest to do this by taking y to be a Taylor's series solution. Since the leading coefficient is x, you will have to use Frobenius' method: let
    [tex]y= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+c}[/itex] where c is an unknown number, not necessarily positive or integer. Do the differentiations term by term, put into the equation and assume that a0 is not 0 to get an equation for c (the "indicial" equation). They try to get a recurrance relation for an.

4. Jul 22, 2008 #3
    " Let u= r'. r"= u' and, by the chain rule, u'= du/dt= (du/dr)(dr/dt)= ru'. "

u= r' - they are both functions of t, aren't they?
    r"= u' is ok
    u'= du/dt= (du/dr)(dr/dt) - chain rule is ok, but how do you get to this:
    u'= ru' from the chain rule?

As to the integral: I got:

t = r/C - Sqrt(k/(2C^3))*arctan(r*Sqrt(2C/k)) + C_1

now it's ok, but I cannot find r(t) :( and I need it, cuz the DE is Newton's 2nd Law applied to the gravitational force, considered k = GM ( M- mass, and G the grav. constant)

mr''[t] = GMm/r^2[t] <=> r''[t] - k/r^2[t] = 0

I was expecting ellipses or the conical intersections

2. DE: unfortunately I haven't learnt how to solve DEs with power series :( but I'll try the ansatz and see what will come out :)

5. Jul 23, 2008 #4
    [EDIT]: it should be: mr''[t] = - GMm/r^2[t] and k = -GM , but 'k' is a constant nevertheless :)

6. Jul 23, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I miswrote: u' (du/dr)(dr/dt)= u du/dr The equation becomes u du/dr= k/r2 so u du= k r-2 dr which gives (1/2)u^2= -k/r+ C or
    [tex]u= dr/dt= \sqrt{C- 2k/r}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. Jul 23, 2008 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?