Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DHCP server

1. Apr 20, 2003 #1
    i've got 2 computers running on a ICS network without a router. im on broadband with 1 ip address. the host is giving the client a seperate ip address. will the clients computer's ip address change each time the computers are networked? because i know when i dial up broadband the ip addresses change i think.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2003 #2
    A simple way to check is go to Start>Run>winipcfg

this will give you the IP information. I'm pretty sure your computer will give the same IP each time though, I'm not positive, but with my experience the computer has given the same IP even if it is dynamically assigned.

4. Apr 20, 2003 #3
    What's ICS?

Usually in these setups, you're doing some kind of software NAT on the host, and it will generally give the same IP to the client, often something like 192.168.0.1 .

5. Apr 20, 2003 #4
    ICS is internet connection sharing, made big with XP, available for windows 98.

A normal windows network, computer-to-computer, would use a variation of the 192.168.0.1 IP, although, he is using a router and they can be a lil different, chances are he is still running a class c IP though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?