Diabetes linked to increased Alzheimer's risk

1. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A study was published last Monday in the May issue of Archives of Neurology, as MSNBC reports:

.. that is major .. if it is really true it brings another dimension to the greying population, even in western Europe diabetes is starting to have the same proportions as in the US..

2. jcsd
  3. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't had a chance to read the article yet (abstract deadline tomorrow for a meeting the whole lab goes to has me preoccupied during my usual reading time). Did they say if it mattered whether it was type I or II diabetes? And does it matter how well controlled the disease was? In other words, some people get diagnosed with diabetes and immediately start following their doctors' advice and watch their diet, take their insulin, monitor their blood sugar carefully, etc. Others just don't watch their diet, monitor blood sugar as carefully, etc. I wonder if there is a greater risk for someone who isn't keeping their blood sugar under control. Just wondering if it's directly related to the glucose levels or to something else related to diabetes (such as the diet that exacerbated the diabetic condition).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?