Controlling Sensor Through Labview: Role of Diode?

In summary: So is it working now?negative sir.Don't call me sir. I work for a living. :rolleyes: (quiz question -- what movie is that from?)
georgeh
Can you guys look at the attached file. I have a sensor hooked up to a plug box. My question is, i am suppose to control the sensor through labview. My question is, how does the diode play a role? I would technically send the commands to the 1st input right? and if i wanted to read data, i could rea dit off the output, where the diode sends the voltage to?
Or am I getting this wrong?
thank you in advance.

Attachments

• diag.gif
    diag.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 382
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have specs on the sensor? The hookup doesn't make sense to me at first glance. Is that meant to be a stiff 5V rail there? What about the ground and other connections?

berkeman said:
Do you have specs on the sensor? The hookup doesn't make sense to me at first glance. Is that meant to be a stiff 5V rail there? What about the ground and other connections?
I do have specs on it. This is just a small diag. I have it hooked up to some other hardware and it is grounded btw.link:
http://www.sensirion.com/images/getFile?id=25 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
georgeh said:
I do have specs on it. This is just a small diag. I have it hooked up to some other hardware and it is grounded btw.link:
http://www.sensirion.com/images/getFile?id=25 [Broken]
The thumbnail drawing seems wrong now. Look at the hookup diagram in Figure 2 in the datasheet. You communicate with this sensor with a serial interface, SCK and SDATA. From Labview, you will either need to define a serial interface model (I don't know if one exists already in Labview), or you will need to bit-bang two digital lines to emulate the digital master. Since the serial interface has only one SDATA line, you need to be able to switch from driving to just reading (Tri-State the output at times when the sensor is supposed to send data back).

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
The thumbnail drawing seems wrong now. Look at the hookup diagram in Figure 2 in the datasheet. You communicate with this sensor with a serial interface, SCK and SDATA. From Labview, you will either need to define a serial interface model (I don't know if one exists already in Labview), or you will need to bit-bang two digital lines to emulate the digital master. Since the serial interface has only one SDATA line, you need to be able to switch from driving to just reading (Tri-State the output at times when the sensor is supposed to send data back).
Yeah. I am looking at figure two. I am bit banging the sensor. I am emulating the sck and writing to data port and reading off it using a connector box via L.V.

georgeh said:
Yeah. I am looking at figure two. I am bit banging the sensor. I am emulating the sck and writing to data port and reading off it using a connector box via L.V.
So is it working now?

negative sir.

Don't call me sir. I work for a living. :rolleyes: (quiz question -- what movie is that from?)

Well, what's not working? Are you seeing the correct SCLK and SDATA waveforms like in the datasheet, but the RX data coming back is wrong? You're using the hookup diagram from the datasheet and not the one with the diode that you drew at the top of the thread, right? Do you have any way to post a plot of what your SCLK and SDATA look like?

1. What is the role of a diode in controlling sensors through Labview?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. In the context of controlling sensors through Labview, a diode is used as a protection mechanism to prevent damage to the sensor or Labview system from reverse current flow. It also helps to regulate the voltage and current levels for the sensor.

2. Can any type of diode be used for controlling sensors through Labview?

No, not all diodes are suitable for controlling sensors through Labview. It is important to select a diode with the appropriate voltage and current ratings for the specific sensor and Labview system. Additionally, the diode should have a fast response time to accurately control the sensor.

3. How does Labview communicate with the sensor through the diode?

Labview communicates with the sensor through the use of a signal conditioning circuit. This circuit includes the diode, as well as other components such as resistors and capacitors, to convert the sensor's analog signal into a digital signal that Labview can interpret and process.

4. What are the benefits of using Labview to control sensors through a diode?

One of the main benefits is the flexibility and ease of use that Labview offers. Its graphical programming interface allows for quick and efficient development of sensor control systems. Additionally, Labview has a large library of built-in functions and tools specifically designed for sensor control, making it a powerful tool for scientists and engineers.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using a diode to control sensors through Labview?

One limitation is that the diode can introduce some errors or noise into the sensor signal, which can affect the accuracy of the readings. Additionally, if the diode is not properly selected or installed, it can cause damage to the sensor or Labview system. It is important to carefully design and test the sensor control system to minimize these potential challenges.