1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonal connection problem

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to show that the connection [tex] \Gamma^a_{bc} [/tex] is equal to 0 when the metric g_ab is diagonal. Will the formula
    [tex] \Gamma^a_{bc} = 1/2 g^{ad}(\partial_bg_{dc} + \partial_cg_{bd} - \partial_dg_{bc}) [/tex] be of use? How can I manipulate that equation and use the fact that the metric is diagonal?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think the connection is zero if the metric is diagonal? It's not even true. Look at spherical coordinates.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    It comes right out of my book!

Attached Files:

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it doesn't; your book doesn't ask you to prove all of the components are zero: just some of them.

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    OK. So it only wants me to prove that the off-diagonal components are zero (that statement in parentheses was pretty important). Anyway, I still have the same two questions as in the first post.

7. Sep 23, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If [itex] \Gamma [/itex] is meant to be the Riemann - Christoffel (or the metric) connection, then, yes, that's the formula you should use.

8. Sep 23, 2007 #7
    Yes. It is the Christoffel symbol of the second kind. So am allowed to do this:

[tex] \Gamma^a_{bc} = 1/2 (\partial_bg^{ad}g_{dc} + \partial_cg^{ad}g_{bd} - \partial_dg^{ad}g_{bc}) [/tex]
    ?

Then the first term becomes the Kronecker delta, I think.

If not, how should I use the fact that the metric is diagonal?

9. Sep 23, 2007 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you think, for all d, that gad is a constant with respect to the b, c, and d-th variables?

Any way you can imagine. You could substitute zero for the off-diagonal terms. You could decompose the metric into a linear combination of simpler tensors. Et cetera.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  10. Sep 23, 2007 #9
    I see. You just replace d with a.

11. Sep 23, 2007 #10
    Now, can someone explain to me where in the world this natural log comes from at the bottom of attached page of the Hobson book?

Attached Files:

12. Sep 23, 2007 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you try differentiating it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?