Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonal Matrix Proof help

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    Hi I have this question for my Linear Algebra class and I can't seem to figure it out.

Let A and B be n x n matrices such that B = (P^-1)AP and let lambda ne an eigenvalue of A (and hence of B). Prove the following results:
    (a) A vector b in R^n is in the eigenspace of A corresponding to labmda if and only if (P^-1)v is in the eigenspace corresponding to lambda.

----------------------------------------

My thought process was that since A and B are similar they will will have the same characteristic polynomial, eigenvalues, multiplicity etc. And B is the diagonal matrix of A and the columns of P are a basis for R^n. Also the equation Ax=b is consistent for every b in R^n if A is invertible.

Ive been working on this problem all week and cant seem to get it. I think Im close but I cant seem to make the connection.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give

Jon

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably this is the type of question you're going to slap yourself in the head for, when seeing how straightforward it is.

So you have B = P-1AP. I'll be using c instead of lambda because I'm too lazy to find a HTML lambda. You want to prove that
    Av = cv, if and only if B(P-1 v) = c (P-1 v).

So start by the direct implication: suppose that Av = cv. Now calculate B(P-1 v) using what you know about B.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahhh! "let lambda be an eigenvalue". I read this as "let lambda not equal an eigenvalue" and couldn't understand what you were saying from here on!:redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook