Diagonal of a thin rectangular foil, inertial principal axis

In summary, the diagonal of a rectangular thin foil is not an inertial principal axis because it is not a symmetry axis and the angular momentum is conserved, meaning that the torque on the z-axis is equal to the moment of inertia on the z-axis multiplied by the angular velocity.
bznm
I'd like to know if the diagonal of a rectangular thin foil is an inertial principal axis.I know that if an axis isn't a symmetry axis then it isn't a principal axis. In the rectangle the diagonal isn't a symmetry axis, so it shouldn't be a principal axis. Is it correct?

So, if I consider that the angle between the rotation axis and x-axis is $\theta$ and $\vec{\omega}$ is on xy-plane, I can't understand why

##\tau_z=\omega_x \omega_y(I_{xx}-I_{yy})##

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the angular momentum is conserved, it means that ##\tau_z=I_{zz}\omega_z##So, the answer to your question is no, the diagonal of a rectangular thin foil is not an inertial principal axis.

1. What is the diagonal of a thin rectangular foil?

The diagonal of a thin rectangular foil is the line that connects opposite corners of the foil, forming a diagonal across the rectangular shape.

2. How is the diagonal of a thin rectangular foil calculated?

The diagonal of a thin rectangular foil can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the diagonal length is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the length and width of the foil.

3. What is the significance of the diagonal in a thin rectangular foil?

The diagonal is significant because it represents the longest possible distance within the foil, and can be used to determine the foil's overall size and shape.

4. What is an inertial principal axis in relation to a thin rectangular foil?

An inertial principal axis is an axis of rotation that passes through the center of mass of a thin rectangular foil and has the property that the moment of inertia about this axis is minimized or maximized.

5. How can the diagonal of a thin rectangular foil impact its inertial principal axis?

The diagonal of a thin rectangular foil can impact its inertial principal axis by affecting the distribution of mass and the moment of inertia about the axis. A longer diagonal may result in a different principal axis compared to a shorter diagonal.