1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalisable matrix

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the following matrix diagonalisable?

[0 0 0 0 0 ....0
    0 1 0 0 0 ....0
    0 0 2 0 0 .... 0
    0 0 0 3 0 ....0
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . .0
    0 0 0 0 0 0....n]

(having trouble showing the mtarix, basically 0,1,2,3...n down the diagonal and zeroes off-diagonal)

2. Relevant equations

Given.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that because it contains the zero vector, the matrix doesn't have n linearly independent columns, thus not diagonalisable? I'm not entirely sure. Plus, is it possible to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the matrix?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you mean

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}0&0&0&0&\ldots&0\\0&1&0&0&\ldots&0\\0&0&2&0&\ldots&0\\0&0&0&3&\ldots&0\\\vdots&\vdots&\vdots&\vdots&\ldots&\vdots\\0&0&0&0&\ldots&n\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

then isn't the matrix already diagonalized?

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    Yes, that's the matrix that I mean. :)

So, if the matrix has a zero column, it can still be diagonalisable?
    I thought that if it didn't have n linearly independent vectors, it cannot diagonalisable...

5. Sep 19, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Obviously, since your matrix is diagonal, choosing [itex]P=I_n[/itex] (the [itex]n\times n[/itex] identity matrix) will show that it is diagonalizable.

I think you are mistaking a matrix's columns for its eigenvectors; if an [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrix doesn't have [itex]n[/itex] linearly independent eigenvectors it isn't diagonalizable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 19, 2009 #5
    Okay, thank you! I should obviously read my notes better next time! :)

You've been a great help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook