1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalisation Bloch aproximation

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    How to diagonalise Hamiltonian in Bloch approximation?

[tex]\hat{H}=-\frac{1}{2}\sum_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}I_{\vec{n},\vec{m}}\hat{S}_{\vec{n}}^x\hat{S}_{\vec{n}}^x-\Gamma\sum_{\vec{n}}\hat{S}_{\vec{n}}^z[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    I would start by writing S^x in terms of raising and lowering operators. What is the Bloch approximation?

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Replacing spin with Bose operators I think!

[tex]S_{\vec{n}}^+=\sqrt{2S}B_{\vec{n}}[/tex]

[tex]S_{\vec{n}}^-=\sqrt{2S}B_{\vec{n}}^+[/tex]

[tex]S-S_{\vec{n}}^z=B_{\vec{n}}^{+}B_{\vec{n}}[/tex]

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    So, maybe a little more background would be helpful. What exactly is your question?

If you want to calculate spin waves you need to choose a reference ground state which will affect the form of your Bose operators (right now it looks like you've chosen a ferromagnetic ground state). For spin waves then you need to Fourier transform your boson operators.

But I am a bit surprised by the appearance of the lone S_z operator, because usually the presence of a single spin operator is a problem for spin wave theory. But since S_z won't result in a single boson operator then it might be ok. Also, are both S_x operators acting on the same site, or is that a typo? If that's correct, you should carry out the sum over m first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook