1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizability Quest

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1
    Show that matrix A = \begin{bmatrix} a&b \\0&a \end{bmatrix} in M2 x 2(R) is diagonalizable iff b = 0

Attempt: Now I tried to solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which gave me a matrix of this form: \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}

but this matrix won't provide me with any information to show diagonalizability. What am I missing?

Quest 2: Find the necessary and sufficient conditions on the real numbers a,b,c for the matrix:
    \begin{bmatrix} 1 & a & b\\ 0 & 1 & C \\ 0 & 0 & 2 \end{bmatrix} to be diagonalizable.

Attempt: Now for this one I also solved for the eigenvlues which were: λ1 = 1, λ2 = 1, λ3 = 2

So the problematic eigenvalues will be the one of multiplicity 2, i.e λ = 1.

So this means I'd have to obtain two linearly independent eigenvectors for λ = 1.

I tried solving and got to this matrix: \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & b \\ 0&0&c \\ 0&0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}

But I won't be able to find two linearly independent eigenvectors from setting any of the variables equal to anything...I don't think. What's the next step?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

b=0 ->
    well this one is as the matrix is already diagonal

A is diagonalisable ->
    well what do you get for the chracteristic equation

hint: i get a repeated eigenvalue - this means the eigenspace must span R^2 for the matrix to be diagonalisable - can you show this is only possible when b=0?

4. Feb 22, 2012 #3
    For your first question, I am assuming you obtained the characteristic polynomial of [itex](\lambda - a)^2 = 0[/itex].

So we know we have a repeated eigenvalue.

[tex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & b\\
    0 & 0
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

Nothing extreme has been done. Simply following the protocol to diagonalize.

What does this matrix tell us?

For one, [itex]x_1[/itex] is a free variable. If b isn't a free a variable, how many eigenvectors would we have?

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4
    If b isn't a free variable, then I only have one eigenvector, but my multiplicity is 2 which implies that the matirx isn't diagonalizable. but if b = 0 as in the question then i obtain a diagonal matrix. As for showing it, the only way I could show it is if I obtain the 0 matrix that I talked about below.

6. Feb 22, 2012 #5
    The only value that allows x_2 to be a free variable is 0. With out it, you said you only have one eigenvector. You need n eigenvectors for a nxn matrix. If you only have 1 eigenvector, you have a problem. How does knowing this not help you?

7. Feb 22, 2012 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok so you get [itex] \lambda = a [/itex] with algebraic multiplicity 2

to be diagonalisable you have to have and eigenspace that spans R^2, and as such there exists two linearly independent eigenvectors

so you can represent your eigenvectors as (1,0)^T and (1,0)^T, and x(1,0)^T +y(1,0)^T =(x,y)^T is still an eignevector

then, any eigenvector (x,y)^T must then satisfy
    [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix} a&b \\0&a \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\y \end{bmatrix} = a \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y\end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

which gives
    [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix} ax+by = ax\\ay =ay \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

so what constraints does [itex] b \neq 0 [/itex] give?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. Feb 22, 2012 #7
    I don't think I follow... what is the (1,0)^T? What's the raised to the T part?

9. Feb 23, 2012 #8

Deveno

Science Advisor

it means "transpose" and just means we are talking about a column vector, rather than a row vector (since we're dealing with matrices, where rows and columns are different things).

10. Feb 24, 2012 #9

Well simplifying I obtain y = 0, does this mean y has to equal zero in order for the expression to be satisfied? but if that happens then ay = ay becomes 0 = 0

11. Feb 25, 2012 #10

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok so if y = 0, what is the dimension of the eigenspace (how many linearly independent eigenvectors do you have?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook