Diagonalizable Matrices and Commutativity: Proving AB = BA

• Thread starter lubricarret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, if A and B are diagonalizable 2 x 2 matrices with equivalent eigenvectors, then AB = BA. This is because there exists a single matrix P such that A = P^-1DAP and B = P^-1DBP, where DA and DB are diagonal matrices. This proof works for all dimensions, not just 2 x 2.
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Let A and B be diagonalizable 2 x 2 matrices. If every eigenvector of A is an eigenvector of B show that AB = BA.

Homework Equations

D = PA(P^-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the eigenvectors are equivalent, wouldn't it hold true that P_A = P_B?

If I have to show that AB = BA, I should be able to prove that

PAB(P^-1) = PBA(P^-1)

Since the eigenvectors of A are the eigenvectors of B, and
P = (Eigenvector_1, Eigenvector_2)

Then could I say that P_A = P_B, and (P^-1)_A = (P^-1)_B

and then cancel out P and (P^-1) from the equation PAB(P^-1) = PBA(P^-1) and then conclude that AB=BA?

Is my reasoning wrong here?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch! I get annoyed at having to open scanned papers- now I have to sit and watch you write it?

And you are using physics notation which gives me the pip.

If A and B are diagonalizable linear operators, then their eigenvectors form a basis for the vector space and written in that basis they are diagonal. If they have the same eigenvectors, then that single basis diagonalizes both! Yes, that is why you can use the same "P": there exist a single matrix P such that A= P-1DAP and such that B= P-1DBP where DA and DB are the appropriate diagonal matrices. What are AB and BA? Of course, diagonal matrices always commute.

By the way, this proof works for all dimensions, not just 2 by 2.

Thanks HallsofIvy! I appreciate the explanation and for assuring me of that proof!

1. What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix by using a similarity transformation. This means that there exists an invertible matrix that can diagonalize the original matrix.

2. How do you know if a matrix is diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it has n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the size of the matrix. This means that the matrix can be diagonalized by using a similarity transformation with the eigenvectors as the columns of the transformation matrix.

3. What is the significance of diagonalizable matrices in linear algebra?

Diagonalizable matrices have many useful properties and applications in linear algebra. They are easier to work with and can help simplify calculations. They also have a direct relationship with the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable because it does not have enough dimensions to be transformed into a diagonal matrix. However, a rectangular matrix can still have a diagonalizable square submatrix.

5. How do you find the diagonal form of a diagonalizable matrix?

To find the diagonal form of a diagonalizable matrix, you can use the similarity transformation method. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, constructing a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues along the main diagonal, and using the eigenvectors as the columns of the transformation matrix.