1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizable matrix

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    [tex]M = \left(\begin{array}{cc}4&-1 \\ 2&7 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

I need to show M^n as a formula of entries where n>0:

so say [tex]M = \left(\begin{array}{cc}4&-1 \\ 2&7 \end{array}\right)[/tex] is diagonalizable: [tex]M = SDS^{-1}[/tex]

then [tex]M^2=S^2 D^2 S^{-2} [/tex]

and... [tex]M^3=S^3 D^3 S^{-3} [/tex]

I can see from this that [tex]D^n = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\alpha^n&0 \\ 0&\beta^2 \end{array}\right)[/tex] assuming [tex]\alpha= \lambda_1[/tex] and that [tex]\beta= \lambda_2[/tex]

[tex]\alpha= 5[/tex] and [tex]\beta= 6[/tex]

[tex]D^n = \left(\begin{array}{cc}5^n&0 \\ 0&6^n \end{array}\right)[/tex]

so to find S...

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}4-\alpha&-1 \\ 2&7-\beta \end{array}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1 \\ 2&2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v_1= \left(\begin{array}{c}1\\ -1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2&1 \\ 2&1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v_2= \left(\begin{array}{c}1\\ -2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]S = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1 \\-1&-2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]S^{-1} = \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1 \\1&2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

this is where I am stuck, i dont know how to get S^n or S^-n

any ideas?
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Not true.
    M = SDS^-1.
    MM = SDS^-1SDS^-1
    How does this simplify?
  4. May 4, 2006 #3
    AKG helped me out and I realized that [tex]M^n=S D^n S^{-1} [/tex]

what i dont understand now is now a diagonal matrix can be multiplied with other matricies to get a matrix with non-zero numbers?

so D multiplied by some other matrix will always be [tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}a&0 \\ 0&b \end{array}\right)[/tex]

so how does this produce the original matrix [tex]M = \left(\begin{array}{cc}4&-1 \\ 2&7 \end{array}\right)[/tex]?
  5. May 4, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply D with the matrix full of 1's. It has no zeroes. Anyways, we want to know how to find an invertible matrix S such that M = SDS-1. You were on the right track to finding S in that other thread.
  6. May 5, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's not true! Did you actually try it?

How did you get D? Wasn't it D= SMS-1? So then M= S-1DS.

You saw, of course, that the numbers on the diagonal of D are the eigenvalues of M. A standard way of finding S is to use the corresponding eigenvectors as columns of S.
  7. May 5, 2006 #6
    Lets give it a try:

[tex]M = \left(\begin{array}{cc}4&-1 \\ 2&7 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]M^n=S D^n S^{-1} [/tex]

Find the eigenvalues:
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}4-\lambda&-1 \\ 2&7-\lambda \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_1=5, \lambda_2=6[/tex]

This mean:

[tex]D = \left(\begin{array}{cc}5&0 \\ 0&6 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

To find the eigenvectors:
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}4-\lambda_1&-1 \\ 2&7-\lambda _1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}4-5&-1 \\ 2&7-5 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1 \\ 2&2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Solving the matrix:
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1&-1&0\\ 2&2 &0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v_1=\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\-1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}4-\lambda_2&-1 \\ 2&7-\lambda_2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}4-6&-1 \\ 2&7-6 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-2&-1 \\ 2&1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Solving the matrix:
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-2&-1&0\\ 2&1 &0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v_2=\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\-2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

The eigenspace is then:
    [tex]S=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1 \\ -1&-2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]det\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1 \\ -1&-2 \end{array}\right)=-1[/tex]

[tex]S^{-1}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1 \\ 1&2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

So this means that:
    [tex]M= \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1 \\ -1&-2 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}5&0 \\ 0&6 \end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1 \\ 1&2 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

[tex]M^n= \left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1 \\ -1&-2 \end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}5^n&0 \\ 0&6^n \end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1 \\ 1&2 \end{array}\right) [/tex]

When I solve this out.. I get:

[tex]M^n= \left(\begin{array}{cc}-5^n+6^n&-5^n+2(6^n) \\ 5^n-2(6^n)&5^n-4(6^n) \end{array}\right) [/tex]

When I sub in n=1, I do not get back the original matrix... could someone help?
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  8. May 5, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't solve a matrix, you solve an equation, and the equation you want to solve is:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1&-1\\ 2&2 \end{array}\right)v_1 = \left (\begin{array}{c}0\\0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

for v1, which coincidentally you have:
    Again, you're solving the equation:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-2&-1\\ 2&1 \end{array}\right)v_2 = \left(\begin{array}{c}0\\0\end{array}\right )[/tex]

which you have already done.
    Just as a matrix is not something you solve, a matrix is not an eigenspace either. Moreover, it's not clear as to how you got this matrix. You're supposed to let S be the matrix whose rows (or columns, I can't remember) are the eigenvectors you found. You had vectors (1 -1)T and (1 -2)T, so I don't know where you're getting this S from.
    First of all, this matrix you're finding the determinat of is not the S you wrote down just a few lines above, and moreover it still isn't a matrix whose rows/columns are eigenvectors. It's yet another unexplained matrix. Thirdly, the determinant of that matrix there isn't -1, it's 0. Just look at the columns, they're the exact same, so the columns are clearly linearly dependent, so the determinant is 0. Of course, a very simply computation: (-1)(2) - (-1)(2) = 0 shows this as well. The original matrix for S that you had also has determinant 0, since its second row is just 2x the first, so they rows are dependant, hence determinant is 0. Again, a computation shows this: 1(-2) - (2)(-1) = 0.
    No matter which of the two matrices you're talking about, this is wrong since neither of those matrices are invertible (both have det 0). And I have no idea how you came up with this answer. I mean, if you did the thing you learned from high school: Take S, switch the things in positions a and d, replace c and d with their negatives, then divide the whole thing by det(S) [which you thought to be -1], you still wouldn't get what you have above, no matter which of the two matrices were taken to be S.
  9. May 5, 2006 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, it looks as though you've edited your post. Now everything's right up to the point where you find S-1 (well, you still don't solve matrices or call them eigenspaces, but anyways...). It looks like all you've done is taken S and divided by det(S) [which is indeed -1].
  10. May 5, 2006 #9
    sorry... still not so good with LaTeX.
  11. May 5, 2006 #10
    thanks for catching that mistake and then help AKG, I've got it figured out!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?