1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizable Matrix

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A =
    [4 0 1;
    2 3 2;
    1 0 4]
    Let n >= 1 be an integer. Compute the matrix A^n with entries depending on n.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I need to show that A is diagonalizable, and find a matrix S such that D = (S^-1)(A)(S) is diagonal. I am having serious trouble finding S. First I found the eigenvalues of A to be 3,3, and 5. Next I found the eigenvectors to be for [tex]\lambda = 3[/tex]: (1 0 -1) and [tex]\lambda = 5[/tex] : (1 2 1). There's a theorem in my book that says that a matrix is only diagonalizable if and only if there are n linearly independent eigenvectors. I only have 2. I'm not quite sure how to get the third.
    Now, assuming I had three eigenvectors, I would combine them to form the matrix S, and if the [tex]det(S)\neq 0[/tex] then the eigenvectors would be linearly independent, and
    i could find S^-1. Then A^n would just be (S^-1)(D^n)(S). Does this all sound correct? I guess I'm just a little confused about the eigenvalue/eigenvector situation....
    Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a third linearly independent eigenvector, you are just overlooking it. Hint: try (0,1,0). Then do exactly what you propose.

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    Wouldn't An = SDnS-1?

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep. Sorry, I overlooked that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?