Diagonalization of Matrix A for Finding A^9: [0 8;2 0] - Homework Solution

• Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses using diagonalization to find the 9th power of a given matrix, A. The correct method involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and then using matrix multiplication to obtain the final answer. While matrix multiplication is associative, it is not commutative, so the order of multiplication matters.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

Use diagonalization to find A^9 where A = [0 8;2 0]

The Attempt at a Solution

I perform (A-λI) to find characteristic equation and hence eigenvalues of 4 and -4. These yield eigenvectors of [2;1] and [2;-1] respectively.

Now I know [0 8;2 0][2 2;1 -1] = [2 2;1 1][4 0;0 -4]
Rearranging gives [0 8;2 0] = [2 2;1 -1][4 0;0 -4][2 2;1 -1]^-1

Now to raise to the power of 9 gives, [0 8;2 0]^9 = [2 2;1 -1][4 0;0 -4]^9[2 2;1 -1]^-1

Now I know that any matrix multiplied by its inverse will give the identity matrix, hence this leaves me with [0 8;2 0]^9 = [4 0;0 -4]^9

Therefore by my working, A^9 = [4^9 0; 0 (-4)^9]

The answer suggests [0 2*4^9; .5*4^9 0]

Can someone see where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
t_n_p said:
Now to raise to the power of 9 gives, [0 8;2 0]^9 = [2 2;1 -1][4 0;0 -4]^9[2 2;1 -1]^-1
You're still correct here. Let the matrices on the RHS be labeled P,D^9,P^-1

t_n_p said:
Now I know that any matrix multiplied by its inverse will give the identity matrix, hence this leaves me with [0 8;2 0]^9 = [4 0;0 -4]^9[/tex]
This is your mistake. You're multiplying PD^9P^-1, not D^9P(P^-1). In matrix multiplication the order matters. You can't randomly switch the order. Just multiply the matrices out normally and you'll get the answer.

Ah, so if I have matrices ABC and I wish to perform A*B*C
I must do (A*B)*C.

hmmm, when I did it for a previous question that asked to perform A^6 (where A was the same matrix) I multiplied P and P^-1 to give the inverse and that yielded the correct answer. Just a lucky once off I suppose?

Matrix multiplication is associative, meaning ABC = (AB)C = A(BC). But it is not commutative, meaning that ABC not necessarily equals ACB.

I guess you were lucky that time. I didn't try it out and I can't see your working so I can't tell.

What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix by a similarity transformation. This means that the matrix is composed of diagonal elements and zeros in all other positions.

How do you determine if a matrix is diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it has n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the size of the matrix. In other words, if the matrix has n distinct eigenvalues, it is diagonalizable.

What is the significance of diagonalizable matrices?

Diagonalizable matrices have many important applications in mathematics and science. They are particularly useful in systems of differential equations, in finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and in solving linear transformations.

Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable. It must have the same number of rows and columns in order to have eigenvectors and eigenvalues, which are necessary for diagonalization.

How do you diagonalize a matrix?

To diagonalize a matrix, you must first find its eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. Then, these eigenvectors are used to form a similarity transformation matrix, which can be used to transform the original matrix into a diagonal matrix.