1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalize symmetric matrix

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to diagonalize the matrix A=
    1 2 3
    2 5 7
    3 7 11

3. The attempt at a solution

Subtracting λI and taking the determinant, the characteristic polynomial is
    λ3 - 17λ2 + 9λ - 1 (I have checked this over and over)

The problem now is it has some ugly roots, none that I would never be able to find without a calculator (which is sort of the objective here). Anyways, is there some other way to find P such that
    P-1AP = PTAP is a diagonal matrix???

*edit* I would just add that the matrix A is the matrix associated to the quadratic form q(v) = x2 + 5y2 + 11z2 + 4xy + 6xz + 14yz

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is true the roots are ugly. And there's no way to diagonalize that without some calculator assistance. On the other hand is that really the question? Do you want to show it's positive definite? Then you just need to show the eigenvalue equation has three positive roots. You can do that with calculus. Find the critical points of the eigenvalue equation. Basically, sketch a graph of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook