1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalized 3x3 Matrix

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

quick question, if there is a 3x3 matrix which has exactly 3 distinct eigenvalues why must it be diagonalizable?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

How is diagolization related to the dimension of the eigenspace? Why would distinct eigenvalues let you satisfy this dimension criteria?
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    well since its a 3x3 matrix, the most eigenvalues it could have is 3? so since there is 3 unique eigenvalues, then it is definitely diagonalizable?
  5. Dec 18, 2008 #4

You need two theorems to show this is true and I hinted at them in my post.
  6. Dec 18, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it is better to think in terms of linear transformations- any linear transformation can be represented as a matrix in a given basis: Apply the linear tranformation to each of the basis vectors in turn, the write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors- the coefficients are the columns of the matrix.

The three distinct eigenvalues must have 3 independent eigenvectors. Using those eigenvectors as a basis for the vector space, the linear operator is represented by a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal.

Equivalently, if A is a matrix with three distinct eigenvalues, B is the matrix having those three eigenvectors as columns, then B-1AB is the diagonal matrix having the eigenvalues on the diagonal.

By the way, having three independent eigenvectors is a necessary condition for a matrix to be diagonalizable. Having three distinct eigenvalues is not necessary.
  7. Dec 18, 2008 #6
    so what if a 3x3 matrix only has two eigenvalues, does that mean its not able to be diagonalized?
  8. Dec 18, 2008 #7

No, reread what Halls wrote. One of the eigenvalues could have a two dimensional eigenspace.
  9. Dec 18, 2008 #8
    Thanks guys, I think its making sense, we will see on finals week lol.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?