1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizing a matrix

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    The problem is attached.
    For these kind of problems where they find the matrix P that consists of the eigenvectors, does it matter the way the eigenvectors are arranged? Like can I interchange columns?

I know the determinant changes when I do that, but for diagonalizing purposes, is there a specific way the eigenvectors must be arranged in the matrix?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you can interchange colums (of course, P-1 must be the multiplicative inverse of the new P). The result will be a diagonal matrix, still with the eigenvalues in different positions on the diagonal. Every eigenvector corresponds to a specific eigenvalue. What ever eigenvector you use as the first column will have its eigenvalue at the top left of the diagonal and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook