1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalizing hermitian matrices - how to get eigenvectors after finding eigenvalues?

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I can find my eigenvalues just fine, and they're both real, as expected. My first eigenvalue is -3, which I know is correct.

I have the equations 5x+(3-i)y=0, (3+i)x+2y=0

Both of the equations come from my hermitian matrix, after I substituted λ=-3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have absolutely no idea how to solve this. This case is simple enough to be solved by trial and error, but how would I proceed if I had harder equations?

I can't use both equations since I get x=x or y=y if I substitute one into the other, since they're both the same equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2
    Re: Diagonalizing hermitian matrices - how to get eigenvectors after finding eigenval

Nevermind, doing another (easier) exercise allowed me to see that I only have to set ax = by, and force a value to either x or y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook