1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonals of a quadrilateral

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    Here is the problem:

If the diagonals of a quadrilateral intersect each other, then the quadrilateral is convex.

Proof:

Let ABCD be a convex quadrilateral. Since quadrilateral ABCD is convex, A and D are on the same side of line BC, and D and C are on the same side of line AB. Thus D is a member of the int(angle ABC). With the Crossbad theorem, BD intersect AC = {P} where C-P-R. So AC intersect BC = {Q} where D-Q-R. Since A, B, C, D are noncollinear points P=Q. So AC intersect BD = {P} = {Q}. Which proves that AC intersects PR = the empty set. Since a convex quadrilateral has the property that its diagonals intersect then ABCD is conves.

How is this? I really didn't know what to do for it. Can someone please help me with it?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. You cannot start with "Let ABCD be a convex quadrilateral". That is what you are asked to prove. Start with the hypotheis that the diagonals intersect. Or you can use "indirect" proof: Suppose the quadrilateral is NOT convex. Then what can you say about the diagonals?

[/quote]How is this? I really didn't know what to do for it. Can someone please help me with it?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    Is this better?

Let ABCD be a quadrilateral.
    If A and B are on the same side of the line CD and B and C are on the same side of the line DA then B is in the interior of angle ADC. The Crossbar theorem says that the ray DB intersects the segment AC at some point P.
    Similarly A is in the interior of angle BCD which implies ray CA intersects segment BD at some point Q.
    Thus P and Q lie both on the lines AC and BD.
    Being diagonals, these lines are not the same and so P=Q is the common point of intersection.
    Because of this, these four condition hold:
    A and B are on the same side of line CD
    B and C are on the same side of line DA
    C and D are on the same side of line AB
    D and A are on the same side of line BC
    making the quadrilateral convex.

Thanks for the help!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?