Diagram of a beam with distributed load - SOLVED

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in finding a solution for a beam at point C. One approach suggested is using the concept of virtual work by taking a virtual displacement of the beam and calculating the work done by all forces present in the system. This can help solve for the ratio of a/b.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Determine the ratio ##\frac{a}{b}## for which the shear force will be zero at the midpoint C of the beam
Relevant Equations
Torque
Hi guys, I'm wasting much time on this problem but still can't manage to get to a solution; I'll attach my attempt below.
to delete.png
I started with drawing the FBD of the beam "sectioned" at point C, in order to find an expression for the internal shear force at that point and then equal that to zero.
First I calculated the reaction force Ay as a function of a and b, then assumed Vc=0 in the equation for vertical equilibrium of internal forces in point C and solved the equation for ##\frac{a}{b}## but which of course takes me to a wrong number, since I got a negative ratio of distances!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone point me in the right direction?Thanks!One approach you can take is to use the concept of virtual work. This involves taking a virtual displacement of the beam and calculating the work done by all of the forces present in the system. The total work done must be zero, otherwise there would be a net force or torque on the system.The idea is to take a virtual displacement of the beam such that one of the reaction forces (Ay) remains constant but the other (Ax) changes. Then, calculate the work done by the internal forces (shear force and bending moment) and equate it to the work done by the external forces. Once you have done this, you can solve for the ratio of a/b.Hope this helps!

1. What is a distributed load in a beam diagram?

A distributed load in a beam diagram refers to a load that is spread out over a certain length of the beam, rather than being concentrated at a single point. This type of load is typically represented by a triangular or trapezoidal shape on the diagram.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a distributed load?

The magnitude of a distributed load can be calculated by multiplying the length of the load by its intensity, which is typically given in units of force per unit length (such as pounds per inch or kilonewtons per meter). This will give you the total force exerted by the distributed load on the beam.

3. What is the difference between a distributed load and a point load?

A point load is a single force applied at a specific point on the beam, while a distributed load is spread out over a certain length of the beam. Point loads are represented by arrows on the diagram, while distributed loads are represented by a shape (such as a triangle or trapezoid).

4. How does a distributed load affect the internal forces in a beam?

A distributed load will cause internal shear and bending moments in a beam. The magnitude and direction of these forces will vary along the length of the beam, and can be calculated using equations and diagrams based on the type of distributed load and the beam's properties.

5. Can a distributed load be converted into a point load?

Yes, a distributed load can be converted into a point load by finding the equivalent point load that would produce the same internal forces in the beam. This can be done using mathematical equations and diagrams specific to the type of distributed load and the beam's properties.