Software Recommendations for LaTeX Diagrams on Linux Ubuntu

In summary: I've installed Tex Live and am now using just Gedit to write .tex files which I can then turn into neat .pdf documents. Of course, I just started reading a manual on LaTeX and still don't know much about it but I'm quite amazed by the possibilities that are offered by LaTeX. Ok, got to go, read the manual.
kbaumen
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum but I think that mathematicians often work with LaTex and should be able to answer.

Could you please recommend me any kind of software for creating diagrams (plotting functions, drawing vectors, writing down matrices, etc) and then converting these diagrams into LaTex code. Btw, I work with Linux Ubuntu and I won't use Wine, so, please, only software for Linux.

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn LaTeX.

LaTeX itself typesets most mathematical objects you need. It is not a great graphical tool, but see the LaTeX Graphics companion for more.

If you want to draw graphs, then look at R (which is entirely free in all senses), xv or xfig, and create graphics in eps format for inclusion into a LaTeX document (other formats work too). Other options (which aren't necessarily free) are maple, mathematica or matlab.

matt grime said:
LaTeX itself typesets most mathematical objects you need. It is not a great graphical tool, but see the LaTeX Graphics companion for more.

If you want to draw graphs, then look at R (which is entirely free in all senses), xv or xfig, and create graphics in eps format for inclusion into a LaTeX document (other formats work too). Other options (which aren't necessarily free) are maple, mathematica or matlab.

Thank you!

You can also try the free software Sage - it is a nice little front end to some math packages, but it has a "sagetex" style for use with latex that allows sage code to be embedded inside
latex files.
there is a similar feature with R.

if you need "one off" graphics - diagrams, etc,, both the PS-Tricks (post-script tricks) packages and the pdg/tikz packages for latex are highly recommended. I found tikz easier to learn, but PS-Tricks can do many things tikz can't.

I find that plots in PDF or postscript are best for LaTeX, and a simple free tool for generating professional quality plots of this kind is gnuplot.

If you intend to learn latex, even if you already know it, you can find (almost) no end of
very good advice on the web.

A good starting point is

www.tug.org

(tug = Tex Users' Group)

asymtote is what I use to draw graphs, geometric diagrams, etc.

Wow, thank you guys for all the advice.

Asymptote! You can also use the "inhouse" graphics environment in your basic TeX package.

So I installed Tex Live and am now using just Gedit to write .tex files which I can than turn into neat .pdf documents. Of course I just started reading a manual on LaTeX and still don't know much about it but I'm quite amazed by the possibilities that are offered by LaTeX. Ok, got to go, read the manual.

Thank you all for the advice to learn LaTeX.

1. What software can I use to create diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu?

Some popular options for creating diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu include Inkscape, TikZ, and Pgfplots.

2. Is Inkscape a good choice for creating diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu?

Inkscape is a great choice for creating diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu, as it is a powerful and user-friendly vector graphics editor with built-in support for exporting to PDF, which is compatible with LaTeX.

3. Can I use TikZ to create diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu?

Yes, TikZ is a popular and widely used LaTeX package for creating high-quality diagrams and graphics. It can be easily installed on Linux Ubuntu and offers a wide range of customization options.

4. Are there any free software options for creating diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu?

Yes, both Inkscape and TikZ are free and open-source options for creating diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu. They are both highly versatile and can produce professional-looking diagrams.

5. Can I use Pgfplots to create diagrams in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu?

Yes, Pgfplots is another popular LaTeX package that can be used to create diagrams and plots in LaTeX on Linux Ubuntu. It offers a variety of features and customization options for creating different types of diagrams, including 2D and 3D plots.