Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dialysis: how does this relate to physics?

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    I was wondering, how is dialysis related to certain appropriate physics principles?
    i believe it falls under Matters, but im not postively sure, and if it does have to do something with matters, please explain to me how so.. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dialysis is a chemical process, chemistry is a branch of physics.

What do you mean by "matters"?
  4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Well, I have to write a paper about explaining what dialysis is, how it is accomplished, and related it to the appropriate physics principles. (using the information you have learned about pressure,etc., in this unit).
    The current unit I studied covered: 4phases of matter, hydrostatic, buoyance, fluid flow, Bernoulli, Hooke's Law, Young's Modulus, tensile strength.
    I'm almost near completion with my essay but I just do not understand how dialysis has to do anything with this unit. Sorry if my explanation confuses you :x
  5. Oct 19, 2005 #4

Gold Member

While I'm not familiar with the other things that you mentioned, fluid flow is definitely a major concern. After all, they're removing the blood from your body and circulating it through an artificial kidney. A smooth flow is crucial, as is the ability to pump it without damaging the components such as red cells. It also must not be allowed to clot, but that's more of a chemical treatment. The pressure must be properly maintained at all times, as well as the flow rate, so I assume that there are mechanical regulators involved. It might be useful to snoop into the Biology forums.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?